[SOLVED] Ipv6 on or off ? (More info in thread)

Mar 5, 2019
Hello, thanks for reading. I recently got a new router which a new internet company. The router is provided by default with ipv4 and ipv6 at same time. When i quit ipv6 all works same , its better let ipv6 on or off? Thanks

Solution
Only a tiny number of sites are only ipv6 mostly in asia. You see people report performance issues at times on ipv6. Even though this has been the "future" for more than 20 years the ISP have been very slow to fully implement it. From what I can tell the IPv6 many times takes a different path than IPv4 sometimes with significantly longer latency. It gets very messy to figure thing out when some of your traffic is using ipv4 and some of it is using ipv6.

When IPv6 first came out you never even considered that having the mac address in the IP might be a security exposure. Now you have massive number of large companies harvesting information and tracking and this makes it even easier for them.

For now I see almost no benefit to...
Only a tiny number of sites are only ipv6 mostly in asia. You see people report performance issues at times on ipv6. Even though this has been the "future" for more than 20 years the ISP have been very slow to fully implement it. From what I can tell the IPv6 many times takes a different path than IPv4 sometimes with significantly longer latency. It gets very messy to figure thing out when some of your traffic is using ipv4 and some of it is using ipv6.

When IPv6 first came out you never even considered that having the mac address in the IP might be a security exposure. Now you have massive number of large companies harvesting information and tracking and this makes it even easier for them.

For now I see almost no benefit to using it so I always disable it.

Solution
I forget my ipv6 stuff. There was not suppose to be the need for nat the router would be assigned a small block from the ISP and could then allocate addresses to all the machine mostly by putting the mac address into the end of the ip. I have since heard there is a form of nat for ipv6. I tend to only study IPv6 stuff for certification tests and since I retired I don't do that anymore.

A public IPv6 address would be much worse in my opinion. Nobody thought of all the bad things people do now days. Remember the days before https where you didn't expect the government to capture and inspect every data session flowing though some major ISP.