IR Blaster with Hauppauge 1255

ducuiuc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Hi I'm Trying to record tv from comcast through a set top box. I know i need an ir blaster but before i buy one such as a remote ir blaster combo or just an ir blaster,
Id like to know how it will set up.

I have the Hauppauge 1255 which is very similar to the 1250.(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116028)
I just dont understand the hook up:
My understanding is:
Set top box: cable, ir reciever, tv out,(power too)
Internal card: cable in, ir reciever, (power)

here is the problem where does the blaster hook up to?
can i get any blaster to work with the hauppauge remote to work?
would it be better to get a mce remote/ ir blaster combo.

Any help would be appreciated

Computer Specs:
Intel e8400
Hauppauge 1255
sapphire 6870
22in monitor
Windows Vista 64

Wolfshadw

Titan
I think you're confusing an IR Blaster with an IR Receiver. The IR Receiver is required if you intend to use a remote control or media center type keyboard. This just allows you to control the tuner card software (either native Hauppauge software or Windows MCE).

The IR Blaster provides the ability or over-run a third party's device such as a set top box using a remote control or media center type keyboard.

In my previous set up, I had the following devices and a Comcast Set Top box:

AverMedia AVerTV Tuner Card
Microsoft MCE Keyboard
Microsoft MCE Remote Control

Note that the remote control also comes with an IR Receiver. It also acts as an IR Blaster with the add on (2 included) mini-IR Receivers.

My connections were set up as follows:

Cable Wall Socket --> Cable box input --> Cable Box Output --> TV Tuner Card Input --> Graphics card output --> HDTV.

The IR Receiver connected to my PC via USB. The IR Blaster cables actually connected to the rear of the IR Receiver. (One of these allows me to use the Microsoft Remote Control to control the Comcast set top box).

Looking at the Hauppauge 1250, it looks like it has an IR Receiver, but no additional IR Blaster cables. The IR receiver (black cable with grey headers in the last image) connects to IR input of the TV Tuner Card. It doesn't look like there is a way for you to control your Comcast Set Top Box using that receiver.

If you do get an IR Receiver/Remote Control combo (like the one I linked above), you would probably use that instead of the included IR Receiver, but I have no idea if it would actually work.

Hope this helps.

-Wolf sends

ducuiuc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Yea i now understand how everything fits thanks alot. I now have a dilemma on which products to buy. It's probably been awhile but I saw some products out there
and was wondering which to pick. The newegg one looks exactly like the one form the hauppauge website and the avs one looks like it works well but do you think they both work the same way in terms of having a blaster capability. I ask because the Hauppauge PCTV remote has little info but id like to keep products compatible so there
arent many hiccups.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116071
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121002
http://store.hauppauge.com/accessories2.asp?product=mce_remote

If only the remote style is the difference then i dont care and choose the hauppauge one.
Let me know what you think.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'm pretty sure that all three remotes are going to work exactly the same. It was a different brand name, but I actually had that Hauppauge style remote control. It worked well enough.

My main concern though is whether or not any of them would work with your TV Tuner Card. I assume they would, but can't say for sure. With your card (or at least the Hauppauge 1250), the IR Receiver actually connects to the TV Tuner card. All of these IR Receivers connect via a USB port on the computer.

I'd definitely do more research before plunking down any money. At the very least, try to get in contact with Hauppauge and ask them.

-Wolf sends

Edit:

Huh... Well, if this is your card, then I don't see anything like an IR Input port on it, so it would have to be a USB connected IR Receiver.

ducuiuc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
In the device manager it says 1255 but it looks exactly like the 1250 so i do have the ir input on the card.
So the back panel is jsut like the 1250.
Ill try to get in touch with hauppauge.
Thanks.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Found this support page from Hauppauge:
http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/faq/support_faq_mce.html

Specifically, these sections:
What Hauppauge products can be used with Vista's Media Center application, which comes with Vista Home Premium and Ultimate?

The Hauppauge TV receivers are certified for use with Vista's media Center application:

Any model WinTV-PVR-150, WinTV-PVR-500 or WinTV-PVR-USB2
Any model WinTV-HVR-950, WinTV-HVR-1250, WinTV-HVR-1500, WinTV-HVR-1600, WinTV-HVR-1800 and WinTV-HVR-1950.
For Europe, any version of WinTV-HVR-900, WinTV-HVR-1100, WinTV-HVR-1200, WinTV-HVR-1300, WinTV-HVR-1400, WinTV-HVR-1700 and WinTV-HVR-2200.

Since the card you have looks exactly like the WinTV-HVR-1250, let's assume that it what it actually is. While this section states Vista, it should also work for Windows 7.

and

How do I configure my Microsoft IR Blaster remote control?

Connect the IR "beanbag" to an open USB port on your PC. The drivers should automatically load. Check your device manager for a "Human Interface Devices" listing, which should contain: HID-Compliant consumer control device, HID-Compliant device (3 instances), and Microsoft eHome Infrared Transceiver. If the device does not get detected or fails to install, try a different USB port(s) on the PC or refer directly to Microsoft. Also try installing Microsoft's "Rollup Update 2"

This tells me that it should work with any of the devices you linked previously.

-Wolf sends

Latest posts