News IR Photographer Shares Die Shots of Nvidia 3000 Series GA102 Silicon

Gomez Addams

Prominent
Mar 4, 2020
The current configuration certainly leaves headroom for another SKU down the road should Nvidia see the need to release something faster than the GeForce RTX 3090 to rival AMD's Big Navi army.
I think it's more a matter of getting full yield from the die. That means having all 84 of the SMs working instead of just 82.

What I wonder about is the next step up - 96 GPCs?

TokyoQuaSar

Reputable
Aug 22, 2019
I would be extremely surprised if they made a Titan on this generation, or that would be hard trolling imo. On a die of this size, the yield would be noticeably reduced just to enable 100% of the chip instead of 98%, thus a big bump in price (from an already high price), just to get 2% extra performance. They introduced the 3090 as the Titan of Ampere, unless there is a refresh (that would be in at least a year), there won't be a more powerful Ampere GPU than the 3090.

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
I would be extremely surprised if they made a Titan on this generation, or that would be hard trolling imo. On a die of this size, the yield would be noticeably reduced just to enable 100% of the chip instead of 98%, thus a big bump in price (from an already high price), just to get 2% extra performance. They introduced the 3090 as the Titan of Ampere, unless there is a refresh (that would be in at least a year), there won't be a more powerful Ampere GPU than the 3090.
The main problem with "Titan" is power consumption, not the % of die enabled. That's why marketing throws at us "Titan-level performance" this generation and not a proper titan card.

TRENDING THREADS