iron maiden question

Does iron maiden curse work against ranged monsters, like bone
archers? or does it only work against melee monsters?

what do most necros here prefer, between these two curses, amplify
damage or iron maiden? I cant tell much difference between the two, in
terms of how fast my skellies kill the monsters.

ArtDent wrote:
> On 7-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Does iron maiden curse work against ranged monsters, like bone
> > archers? or does it only work against melee monsters?
>
> Only melee.

Iron Maiden works against ranged attackers at point-blank range. This
is an extremly slow way of doing it, as it usually means only one
ranged attacker is close enough to the golem to take feedback.
--
Zamboni

"howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> what do most necros here prefer, between these two curses, amplify
> damage or iron maiden? I cant tell much difference between the two, in
> terms of how fast my skellies kill the monsters.

Iron Maiden is no longer near as effective as it used to be. Monsters now
don't do enough damage compared to their life total, and regeneration rates
are much, much higher than in earlier version. In 1.09, Iron Maiden, Thorns
and Blood Golems was the shiznet. Necros is 1.10 are much more aggressive
and have to inflict damage, not just reflect it.

I use about 90% Amp Damage and 10% Dim Vision (and Decrepify for bosses).
Fortunately, Amp and Decrep are 1-point wonders, compared to the 20 points
that Iron Maiden required. Also, Thorns and Amp Damage does more damage than
IM does alone if you still want to go that route, and the rest of the party
much prefers the Amp.
--
Zamboni

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:38:04 -0800, "Zamboni" <zamboni@nospam.com>
wrote:

>"howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> what do most necros here prefer, between these two curses, amplify
>> damage or iron maiden? I cant tell much difference between the two, in
>> terms of how fast my skellies kill the monsters.
>>

>Iron Maiden is no longer near as effective as it used to be. Monsters now
>don't do enough damage compared to their life total, and regeneration rates
>are much, much higher than in earlier version. In 1.09, Iron Maiden, Thorns
>and Blood Golems was the shiznet.

i'm still playing 1.09, on a mod i created.

so enlighten me, how and why should i use that particular combination?
I assume by thorns you mean the aura of the merc?

mark

"howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Does iron maiden curse work against ranged monsters, like bone
> archers? or does it only work against melee monsters?
>
> what do most necros here prefer, between these two curses, amplify
> damage or iron maiden? I cant tell much difference between the two, in
> terms of how fast my skellies kill the monsters.

The only time I use IM is when I try to kill Diablo with a teenage Necro.

I use either Amp or Decrepify as my default curse. Though a maxed Dim Vision
is pure gold later in the game when you see a lot of ranged attackers.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 16:26:52 GMT, "Mark" <bongofury@verizon.net>
wrote:

>"howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Does iron maiden curse work against ranged monsters, like bone
>> archers? or does it only work against melee monsters?
>>
>> what do most necros here prefer, between these two curses, amplify
>> damage or iron maiden? I cant tell much difference between the two, in
>> terms of how fast my skellies kill the monsters.
>
>The only time I use IM is when I try to kill Diablo with a teenage Necro.
>
>I use either Amp or Decrepify as my default curse.

thats pretty much what i have been using too.

On 7-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Does iron maiden curse work against ranged monsters, like bone
> archers? or does it only work against melee monsters?

Only melee.

> what do most necros here prefer, between these two curses, amplify
> damage or iron maiden? I cant tell much difference between the two, in
> terms of how fast my skellies kill the monsters.

Amp damage or decrep - if there are too many monsters at once I will
sometimes use a confuse or two on them.
--
Don't Panic!

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 17:10:29 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
wrote:

>On 7-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Does iron maiden curse work against ranged monsters, like bone
>> archers? or does it only work against melee monsters?
>
>Only melee.
>
>> what do most necros here prefer, between these two curses, amplify
>> damage or iron maiden? I cant tell much difference between the two, in
>> terms of how fast my skellies kill the monsters.
>
>Amp damage or decrep - if there are too many monsters at once I will
>sometimes use a confuse or two on them.

kewl. Will confuse stack with either of the other two curses?

On 7-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Will confuse stack with either of the other two curses?

:( unfornutaley not.
--
Don't Panic!

On 7-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I assume by thorns you mean the aura of the merc?

Or, possibly from his character or the merc wearing Bramble armor.
--
Don't Panic!

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:40:50 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
wrote:

>On 7-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I assume by thorns you mean the aura of the merc?
>
>Or, possibly from his character or the merc wearing Bramble armor.

in nightmare, one of the mercs for hire in Act 2 has the thorns aura,
but they dont call it thorns, they call it something else.... is it
defense?

On 7-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:

> in nightmare, one of the mercs for hire in Act 2 has the thorns aura,
> but they dont call it thorns, they call it something else.... is it
> defense?

From:
http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/hirelings.shtml

Combat/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
Combat/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Thorns
Combat/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
Defense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
Defense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Holy Freeze
Defense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
Offense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim
Offense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Might
Offense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim
HTH, HAND
--
Don't Panic!

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:18:23 GMT, "ArtDent" <par@noyd.invalidname>
wrote:

>On 7-Mar-2005, howldog <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> in nightmare, one of the mercs for hire in Act 2 has the thorns aura,
>> but they dont call it thorns, they call it something else.... is it
>> defense?
>
>From:
>http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/basics/hirelings.shtml
>
> Combat/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
> Combat/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Thorns
> Combat/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Prayer
> Defense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
> Defense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Holy Freeze
> Defense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Defiance
> Offense/Normal Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim
> Offense/Nightmare Difficulty: Jab/Might
> Offense/Hell Difficulty: Jab/Blessed Aim
>HTH, HAND

thank you

> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:38:04 -0800, "Zamboni" <zamboni@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"howldog" <lifeisgood@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> what do most necros here prefer, between these two curses, amplify
>>> damage or iron maiden? I cant tell much difference between the two, in
>>> terms of how fast my skellies kill the monsters.
>>>

>>Iron Maiden is no longer near as effective as it used to be. Monsters now
>>don't do enough damage compared to their life total, and regeneration
>>rates
>>are much, much higher than in earlier version. In 1.09, Iron Maiden,
>>Thorns
>>and Blood Golems was the shiznet.
>

> i'm still playing 1.09, on a mod i created.
>
> so enlighten me, how and why should i use that particular combination?
> I assume by thorns you mean the aura of the merc?

In 1.09, there's a vicious synergy between Blood Golems and Iron Maiden.
Toss the golem into the middle of the pack, and IM everything on the screen.
Any damage that the Blood Golem takes is reflected back to the attacker,
multiplied. The golem then heals itself by a percentage of the *reflected*
damage, and then heals the necro by this amount as well. Using this tactic,
the Blood Golem cannot die in melee combat, and the necro is receiving
hundreds of free life every second.

While you're waiting for bodies, you run around and herd monsters back to
the mob surrounding the golem (relying on the free life leech the golem is
feeding you to survive such reckless behavior). Eventually you end up with a
few bodies at the bottom of a very damaged pigpile, the it's time for CE to
clear the screen..

You need a huge number of skeletons as die like flies. They are not there to
attack, but to be attacked and reflect more damage. Revives are even better,
since they have more life and can reflect more damage. Your job is to keep
feeding bodies into the wall for monsters to beat themselves to death on.

A Thorns merc plus Amp Damage will do the same thing - until the merc dies,
then it's back to IM. You learn to just make do without one eventually.

http://cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/necrorush3.jpg
http://cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/necrorush.jpg
http://cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/necrorush2.jpg

--
Zamboni

>> >Iron Maiden is no longer near as effective as it used to be. Monsters now
>> >don't do enough damage compared to their life total, and regeneration rates
>> >are much, much higher than in earlier version. In 1.09, Iron Maiden, Thorns
>> >and Blood Golems was the shiznet.
>>

>> i'm still playing 1.09, on a mod i created.
>>
>> so enlighten me, how and why should i use that particular combination?

1: Dim Vision (Max'd) on everything in sight, and everything out of
sight that DV will affect.
2: AD on the few monsters my skellies are currently hammering; use
Decrep if they are HolyFreeze, Might or Fanat enhanced, or are
FrozenArrow archers.
3: AD on *everything* in sight as soon as one monster falls. Then CE
the corpse (CE is max'd).
4: return to step 1.

AD and Decrep are 1-point wonders.

>> I assume by thorns you mean the aura of the merc?

I got a might merc, the Iron Golem has his own (private) thorns aura.

--

USEast HC Ladder: Rockstomper

ArtDent <par@noyd.invalidname> wrote:

> > Will confuse stack with either of the other two curses?
>
> :( unfornutaley not.

but Attract on a few selected baddies away from the front of a mob can
be cast while all the others are amp/decrep'ed.

It often takes the heat off your merc and skels.

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:20:34 GMT, Brian Brunner
<brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote:

>>> i'm still playing 1.09, on a mod i created.
>>>
>>> so enlighten me, how and why should i use that particular combination?
>
>1: Dim Vision (Max'd) on everything in sight, and everything out of
>sight that DV will affect.
>2: AD on the few monsters my skellies are currently hammering; use
>Decrep if they are HolyFreeze, Might or Fanat enhanced, or are
>FrozenArrow archers.
>3: AD on *everything* in sight as soon as one monster falls. Then CE
>the corpse (CE is max'd).
>4: return to step 1.
>
>AD and Decrep are 1-point wonders.
>
>>> I assume by thorns you mean the aura of the merc?
>
>I got a might merc, the Iron Golem has his own (private) thorns aura.

does the iron golem affect the skellies? I thought the merc's aura
affected the skellies.

Personally, i'm using a combination of AD and Decrep. In my mod, the
champions and unique monsters and minions come fast and furious, many
times more than in normal diablo, so crowds gather quickly. I decrep
them to slow them down and then once the skellies are engaged, I use
AD or maybe confuse if its a big crowd. I never use Dim Vision....
might try that.

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:52:11 -0800, "Zamboni" <zamboni@nospam.com>
wrote:

>> so enlighten me, how and why should i use that particular combination?
>> I assume by thorns you mean the aura of the merc?
>>
>In 1.09, there's a vicious synergy between Blood Golems and Iron Maiden.
>Toss the golem into the middle of the pack, and IM everything on the screen.
>Any damage that the Blood Golem takes is reflected back to the attacker,
>multiplied. The golem then heals itself by a percentage of the *reflected*
>damage, and then heals the necro by this amount as well. Using this tactic,
>the Blood Golem cannot die in melee combat, and the necro is receiving
>hundreds of free life every second.
>
>While you're waiting for bodies, you run around and herd monsters back to
>the mob surrounding the golem (relying on the free life leech the golem is
>feeding you to survive such reckless behavior). Eventually you end up with a
>few bodies at the bottom of a very damaged pigpile, the it's time for CE to
>clear the screen..
>
>You need a huge number of skeletons as die like flies.

I've noticed this, regardless of tactic. I know people love corpse
explosion, however, i'm constantly having to raise skeletons and at
the end of every major conflict, theres nobody left to corpse explode.

Is it true that if the blood golem dies, the necro will die too?

I've never seen it, personally. altho i think i read it somewhere...

They are not there to
>attack, but to be attacked and reflect more damage. Revives are even better,
>since they have more life and can reflect more damage. Your job is to keep
>feeding bodies into the wall for monsters to beat themselves to death on.
>
>A Thorns merc plus Amp Damage will do the same thing - until the merc dies,
>then it's back to IM. You learn to just make do without one eventually.

very good info. thanks. I might try the Blood Golem and Iron Maiden
and see if i like it better than the Thorns merc and Amp Damage.

>http://cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/necrorush3.jpg
>http://cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/necrorush.jpg
>http://cthulhudreams.com/images/d2/necrorush2.jpg

great screenshots. how in the heck did you get so many minions? I'm in
Nightmare act 2 and i only have 10 skel and 10 mage.

> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 23:20:34 GMT, Brian Brunner
> <brian.brunner@verizon.net.prophet> wrote:
>

>>1: Dim Vision (Max'd) on everything in sight, and everything out of
>>sight that DV will affect.
>>2: AD on the few monsters my skellies are currently hammering; use
>>Decrep if they are HolyFreeze, Might or Fanat enhanced, or are
>>FrozenArrow archers.
>>3: AD on *everything* in sight as soon as one monster falls. Then CE
>>the corpse (CE is max'd).
>>4: return to step 1.
>>

>>I got a might merc, the Iron Golem has his own (private) thorns aura.
>
> does the iron golem affect the skellies? I thought the merc's aura
> affected the skellies.

The Iron Golem is only his. A Thorns merc affects everyone except for the
Iron Golem. There are dedicated Golemancer builds that max Iron Golem and
Golem Mastery, then use Hwanin's armor as the golem seed.

> Personally, i'm using a combination of AD and Decrep. In my mod, the
> champions and unique monsters and minions come fast and furious, many
> times more than in normal diablo, so crowds gather quickly. I decrep
> them to slow them down and then once the skellies are engaged, I use
> AD or maybe confuse if its a big crowd. I never use Dim Vision....
> might try that.

My current build has lvl 30 Dim Vision. Everything on or off the screen just
sits and twiddles their thumbs while the skellies kill whoever's in front.
One of the more powerful skills at your disposal.
--
Zamboni

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:05:22 +1300, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.co.nz>
wrote:

>howldog wrote:
>
>> Is it true that if the blood golem dies, the necro will die too?
>>
>> I've never seen it, personally. altho i think i read it somewhere...
>
>No, the necro is left with *one* life point.

is that version 1.10? I've been playing 1.09 and when my blood golem
died, i never even noticed the necros life ball going down at all.