Question Ironwolf 14TB NAS hardrive sounds weird

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I have an Ironwolf 14TB NAS hardrive and it sounds very different from other hardrives. I have Ironwolf 2TB NAS, Seagate 4TB NAS HDD and various 1TB desktop hardrives. This 14TB ironwolf NAS HDD sounds very different. sometimes it makes a sort of thumping sound. it doesn't sound like its bad. normally when a HDD is bad you hear high pitch sounds or metal on metal sounds or clicking sounds. I don't hear that. so is it possible this HDD just sounds very different than I'm used to?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
here's an update. I took the HDD out of the case and held it in my hands and it didn't make much of a noise, but it does seem to vibrate more. so the thumping noise must have been my case resonating. but again, it vibrates more than other hardrives, is that normal? I see in the specs that it has "vibration tolerance". could that be it?

I'm guessing 8 or 9 sets of heads thumping back and forth make a little noise...and, may indeed very well resonate inside certain cases more than others. (You can experiment with mounting positions, and/or rubber washers, etc...)

If it reports no issues, I'd reasonably trust it to last. (But, never fully trust any hard drive....; anything worth truly saving deserves to be saved thrice. Two different hard drives, plus in a cloud if it is worth keeping. If it is your only copy, and it's important,... it will fail next week!)