[SOLVED] Ironwolf on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEK C

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
Just purchased an Ironwolf 6TB (ST6000VN0033) for my Windows machine, as I got tired of hard drives dying on me. Did my research and apparently I can use NAS drives for Windows - all good.
I get into Windows, I try to initialise it, but it says "The request could not be performed because of an i/o device error". Drive name and size recognised correctly. Tried using third-party programs, but getting the same error. Checked the warranty and it's all good, my 3 years started yesterday. Not sure what to do next - any ideas? Thanks

Solution
Try to Clean all partitions from the drive with Diskpart in the command prompt. That's what I use for disks which don't want to erase all partitions. Usually to wipe out the EFI partition.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

I just stop after the Clean command. Then switch to Disk Management to choose GPT or MBR then set partitions.

If you still have errors. You can try swapping cables and motherboard ports. If that doesn't work. I'd send it back to the retailer for a replacement. As it shouldn't be acting like that.
Try to Clean all partitions from the drive with Diskpart in the command prompt. That's what I use for disks which don't want to erase all partitions. Usually to wipe out the EFI partition.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

I just stop after the Clean command. Then switch to Disk Management to choose GPT or MBR then set partitions.

If you still have errors. You can try swapping cables and motherboard ports. If that doesn't work. I'd send it back to the retailer for a replacement. As it shouldn't be acting like that.

Solution

SEK C

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015
Thank you for your response :)

I tried that, and unfortunately it didn't work, still getting similar results. Drive also beeps. I've tried everything - just gonna have to send it back :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS