IRQ Problem

G

Every time I play an Internet game that uses 3d my internet disconnects as soon as the graphics pop up. Then I looked in System and realized that the Modem and the graphics card both use the same IRQ 11. Which I assume makes problems for me. So I tried to change it but It wont let me. I use WindowsME as an operating system. Anyways anyone that can tell me how to solve this so i can be on the internet and play 3d games it would be appreciated. Thank you. Oh and my motherboard is a Procomp BVD2A.

dandan

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
If that doesn't work, try to see if you can change the IRQ for either in Device Manager (assuming you use Win 9x).

If still no luck, may be worth getting an external modem as they are less buggy, and don't rely on CPU power to run them, ie, your framerate will go up a bit because all external modems are hardware modems, internal are <i> generally </i> software modems (what else can you use a serial port for these days anyway!)

Hope this helps

Dan

G

NONONONONONO,

won't do anything. IRQ conflicts don't exist if you have all pci, else it's the software, bios, or drivers that make PC hang freeze reboot bsod... I've had it too, I could reduce all the bad hangs and reboots, but they never went away, even when I got them all on other IRQ. Now lately I've set my options in the bios and i never crash again....

dandan

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Whoa, hold on there! IRQs are used by a lot more than just PCI slots. Half your motherboard resources use them, including your system clock, IDE controllers, floppy drive, etc.

Anyway, most systems happily run IRQ sharing as long as the components doing it are happy to do so. I have up to 4 components on 1 IRQ with no problem, and my mate has 5 on a single IRQ. Check the documentation (websites are best) to see if the AGP card & modem support IRQ sharing. If either of them don't, then there's the problem (just swap PCI slots <i> should </i> fix this). If they do, then try to assign a legacy IRQ in the BIOS as jlanka said earlier,

Cheers

Dan