IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL after installing new Rosewill PCIE card

maniacalmichael

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Recently upgraded to Windows 8.1, also decided to upgrade from my wireless netgear USB card to using a Rosewill Wireless Dual Band PCIE card. Every time I physically install the Rosewill card I get blue screen upon boot "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". Attempted installing drivers prior to installing card since it appeared to be a driver issue. Still get blue screen. . . Thinking this may be caused by the netgear drivers still hanging around, or due to the internal NIC that is a part of the mobo. Any thoughts on this? Was wishing to get 300MB/sec with the new NIC, it says it is windows 8 compatible. . . should I hop in device manager & disable the 2 NICs in there prior to shut down/install?

maniacalmichael

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I assume you mean load optimized defaults, when I do that in the bios and choose save changes and reboot I still get the error. attempted a reset within bios as well. kind of worried about the bios, as I save the change and ask it to reboot it shuts the computer down, leaving me to question whether it actually saved the changes, especially since I still see the error. Attempted the save & reset option as well with the same results. same windows message. Think you pointed me in the right direction, just getting annoyed with the MSI bios right now. Starting to wonder whether there are still cmos batteries I can pull for an easy refresh option of the bios.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
My Asus board has a PCIe setting in it somewhere where PCIe slot 2 (the black one) shares bandwidth with PCIe x1_1 and PCIe x1_2. If I set x16_2 from x2 to x4 it disables x1_1 andx1_2. You might want to check your bios for something similar.

maniacalmichael

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Doesn't look like a bios problem, more like a windows problem. . . reset the bios with cmos battery, still get the error. Loaded defaults with bios, still get the error. Played around with the advance PCI settings, don't see the setting you are talking about in this MSI interface, did see an option to change PCIE GEN3 from Auto to Disabled and change the PCI Latency Timer to a different setting, thought it best to leave them where they are. When I load optimized defaults, same error. Kill the new wireless nic card & use the limited USB card, no error. Kind of tired of messing with it tonight with work tomorrow. Will check back throughout the week & see if there are some other suggestions to attempt.

TRENDING THREADS