irql not less or equal (WINDOWS 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancerehab

Prominent
Apr 10, 2018
Hi everyone, so i came across a BSOD with the error STOP CODE: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, when i was editing a video. The computer tried rebooting but the same error was displayed again but the third time the boot was successful, been three hours no issues now. what i want to know is why was an 8GB TMP file created on my secondary hard drive? i have seen that before but windows deletes it after a few minutes of use. (luckily i copied the file to my external hard disk for analysis if need arises. Also i see a dumb file was created in the mini dump files folder on C:) I have uploaded the images of the file readings here http://

Solution
Download this and use it to make a bootable usb - https://www.memtest86.com/
test each stick, one at a time, for about 8 runs to make sure they fine. Any error above 0 is too many and is likely cause of IRQ errors.

can reset bios and retest sticks if you get any errors... replace/remove sticks that consistently get them.

Colif

Win 11 Master
1st error might have been an IRQ error but second is showing as Bad System Config info which was hopefully fixed by the restart as the other alternatives are pretty annoying

Resolution
Try booting into safe mode and then restart the OS normally. If the restart does not fix the problem, the registry damage is too extensive. Try the following steps.

If you have a system restore point, try restoring to an earlier restore point.
Reset your PC.
Use installation media to restore or reset your PC.
Use installation media to reinstall Windows.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x74--bad-system-config-info

as for the IRQ error, its likely to be a driver error
Can you copy the minidump into your documents or desktop folder
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

the driver blamed by the 2nd error is the windows kernel and not usually a source of problems, it just gets blamed a lot

I don't know why it created an 8gb temp file.

dancerehab

Prominent
Apr 10, 2018

Hi, i accidentally cleared the minidump file but when i get another bsod i will upload and share a link here. as for the tmp file i researched and a source suggested that my editing software/windows was creating that but as temporary which is why the file disappeared later. I honestly though the BSOD was as a result of a bad drive maybe, yet all my drive seem to be okay according to crystaldiskinfo

Reactions: Bartned

dancerehab

Prominent
Apr 10, 2018

Yes,the video files are on my secondary drive. i also normally edit from an external disk and i have never seen any of the temp files being created there. I researched and sources from a few sites suggested that my editing software/windows was creating the temp files maybe because the program was struggling with the allocated memory, which is why the file disappeared later. I honestly thought the BSOD was as a result of a bad drive maybe, but i have tested my drives before and they are okay, as for the RAM, i have added virtual memory from a portion of my secondary drive.

dancerehab

Prominent
Apr 10, 2018

Okay, the day before had tried to overclock my 2400mhz ram to 2933 but pc could not boot, i set it back to 2667mhz where it has been for the last 3months. It has always been stable at 2667mhz no issues. Should i get a software to check registries maybe?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download this and use it to make a bootable usb - https://www.memtest86.com/
test each stick, one at a time, for about 8 runs to make sure they fine. Any error above 0 is too many and is likely cause of IRQ errors.

can reset bios and retest sticks if you get any errors... replace/remove sticks that consistently get them.

Solution

dancerehab

Prominent
Apr 10, 2018

Okay let me do that and get back to you.

Jan 11, 2019

Hi!
I already run the memtest for 24hours and no errors have been founded, when I have this problem I make a clean w10 installation and the problem persist, any chance this problem have any relation with the HDD or BIOS?

Colif

Win 11 Master

I would start your own thread with those details and a copy of any minidumps that we can use to look at problem. If you don't have windows set up to create minidumps, see below:

Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your new thread, and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Just show link to your new thread here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.