[SOLVED] "IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" - won't boot into Windows

spritemv

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Over the past few days, my computer was intermittently giving me a "STOP CODE: IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" BSOD error and rebooting. Now, the computer won't boot into Windows at all as I get the same BSOD error each time Windows tries to boot. I've tried the following while troubleshooting:

1. I plugged the SSD containing the Windows installation into another computer and it was able to boot without issue. I was then suspicious it was a RAM problem.
  2. I purchased and installed new RAM modules which did not resolve the problem.
  3. I plugged the SSD back into the other computer and created a Windows Recovery Drive. I tried booting the faulty computer from the recovery drive, but when it tries to launch, it still gives the same BSOD error.
  4. I cannot determine how to boot into safe mode in Windows 10 when your computer cannot boot into Windows. The usual key spamming that worked in older versions of Windows during the boot sequence don't seem to work with my current system.
  5. I also do not think I can obtain a minidump file without the ability to boot into Windows.

Would I be able to boot from the same drive on another computer if a driver or corrupt system file was causing the error? Is my mobo fried? I'm running an ASRock Z79 mobo and Windows 10 Pro. Thanks for the advice!

Solution
4 doesn't work on win 10, they disabled booting into safe mode for security reasons. It can be enabled but it has to be done before you need it.

im not sure whats on a recovery drive, it might be similar to the installer. I would make an installer on the other PC (only as I know the following steps should work). Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Which X79 model is it? Asrock seem to have about 8

I was going to look in manual to see if bios has any modes that might make it ignore USB at boot.

You shouldn't get IRQ errors booting off a recovery or installer, as it uses basic drivers that comes with windows. You replaced the ram so shouldn't be that?

Try making this on...

Colif

Win 11 Master
4 doesn't work on win 10, they disabled booting into safe mode for security reasons. It can be enabled but it has to be done before you need it.

im not sure whats on a recovery drive, it might be similar to the installer. I would make an installer on the other PC (only as I know the following steps should work). Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Which X79 model is it? Asrock seem to have about 8

I was going to look in manual to see if bios has any modes that might make it ignore USB at boot.

You shouldn't get IRQ errors booting off a recovery or installer, as it uses basic drivers that comes with windows. You replaced the ram so shouldn't be that?

Try making this on other PC and use it to test CPU and other parts of PC since it includes a stack of testing software. - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware

memory controller is on CPU so best to check it as well.

Solution

spritemv

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Thanks for all the advice. I created the Ultimate Boot CD and tested the CPU, video RAM, and memory without issue. After further troubleshooting, I found that the SATA port on my motherboard was going bad and it now seems to work ok with the main SSD plugged into a different SATA port. Seems to be working again for now!

TRENDING THREADS