IRQL_is_not_LESS_OR_EQUAL

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
thats the error i get on the Blue screen of death in XP with a message saying that Windows has been shut down due to this error. i have overclocked my 1700+ T-bred B. i run it at 2125MHz (11*185, 12*178, and all other combinations) and at 1.92V. I had Win 98 earlier an i cud go to 2160MHz, with no problems at all.

I get this error whenever there is too much CPU acticity. Like i start to record my fav TV show, i get this error. I restart and it checks the disk, then boots fine and i record, voila, it works fine. THE DDR333 RAM i have works fine, coz i have tried the 11*194 setting before and it works fine.

Here's my config:
ASUS A7V8X BIOS 1012
1700+ t-bred B at >2100Mhz @ 1.92V Vcore
ASUS GF4 MX440 64MB/4x @ 340/513
2*256MB DDR333 2.5T-3T-3T-7T

<b><font color=red>The statement below is true.</font color=red></b>
<b><font color=blue> The statement above is false.</font color=blue></b>

svol

Champion
NT Based systems (Wink2, WinXp, WinNT) appear to be more OC vulnerable. Your CPU was probably stable enough to run Win98... but it wasn't 100% stable so WinXP crashed.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek:

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
tnx svol. i guess i have to lower the clock a bit to run it stable.

Cud u suggest me any software to recover deleted files from a NTFS partition? Free software wud be better. I had asked this in Software forum, but no one had any ideas.

KarNac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003
I have had this happen a few times. Most recently, the hard drive was going bad, the time before that I went to a more powerful PSU, then before that replaced the IDE cables, and once a MSI motherboard which was junk anyway. All these computers were running XP SP1. But all these computers would post but would get the blue screen and never boot into windows. What PSU are you running? What name brand of RAM? What kind of HDD?
I usually take out all the cards, and disconnect all optical drives. All you have is the HDD, RAM, and graphics card. Start unclocked and overclock from there, if you get the error when you hit 11*185 or less, I know you said your RAM is fine, but borrow some, usually from a local retailer, and try that. If that don't work, do the same with the PSU. If you have the rounded cables, put the OEM ones on. It could be even the HDD or even the board but I can't say, I am not there with your comp.

All I know, the lady that this last happened too, she contacted a few computer retailer/service, one said bad RAM, and the other said bad board. I replaced everything except the HDD, no go, formated a new WD HDD and perfect and this was a year ago. This was Athlon XP 1700+ clocked at
11*166.

That's my 2 cents worth, and I wish you the best of luck. If you figure it out. let me know.

svol

Champion
Well GetDataBack NTFS is one... you can download a demo on <A HREF="http://www.runtime.org" target="_new">http://www.runtime.org</A>. It is not free... but there are always methods to make it 'free'.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
its a generic PSU, a new IBM HDD, and 2 month old DDR333 RAM - 2 sticks of 256MB each. Like svol had suggested, i have lowered the CPU clock by a little amount and it seems to be working fine. Earlier i was runnin my 1700+ at 2100MHz, now i run it at 2000MHz. It seems 2100MHz was stable for Win98/ME but not for XP.

For a moment u scared the $hit out of me :wink: with all the problems u listed, starting with HDD, PSU, RAM, mobo. i recently upgraded to these parts and the last thing i want is something dead :smile: anyways tnx for the input.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
tnx svol. BTW, the site gives a general description of how to recover DATA from a bad drive. I want to recover DATA from one partition of my good drive. I am using this IBM HDD. I hae 5 partitions on this, 4 FAT32 and one NTFS. I had deleted a few files from the NTFS partition that i wud like to recover now.

The reason i am still using FAT32 is, all my friends either have 98 or ME. i take my HDD for data transfer to their PC. So i need FAT32 for the time being :smile:

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
tnx svol. i'll try that in a day or two. Oh, btw, with respect to this original post, I have down-clocked my CPU to 2000MHz (2500+) now and its stable. Even at 1.68V. Earlier i had the CPU at 2150MHz, at 1.92V. Now my full load temp doesn't cross 43 at all. :smile: just thot i shud share.

svol

Champion
If you needed such a voltage increase for a 150MHz OC then I think you reached about the max your CPU would allow you to go.

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
well, i needed 1.92V to run my 1700+ at 2150MHz. thats 2700+ speeds. The funny part is, i can overclock stably till 2000MHz (2500+ speeds) with just 1.68V. Anything above that and i need to increase my Vcore above 1.8V to be stable :smile:

TRENDING THREADS