Question irql_not_less_or_equal BSO after installing new RAM

Apr 27, 2019
I am trying to install new RAM in my ASUS x555QA laptop. I bought a crucial 16gb DDR4 memory module, which the Crucial scanner said was compatible with my system.

After I installed it, I often get a Blue Screen of Death. The error message usually, but not always, is irql_not_less_or_equal. It stops when I take the memory out.

I have an AMD 12 processor. The laptop arrived with 8gb of memory (non-removable).

There has been one time where it did not go straight to the BSOD. I worked with a word processor for about two hours, but when I unplugged the laptop, it immediately went to a BSOD.

Is it just that the RAM is not compatible with the system? I'm trying to decide if I should just return the RAM to Crucial for a refund. But if I can get 24gb of RAM on the laptop, I'd like to.

Apr 27, 2019
Oftentimes, the safest RAM to install in the system is RAM from the same manufacturer as RAM that is already installed. Is there any way you can get RAM that is identical to your current RAM as far as make and/or model?

Apr 27, 2019
Oftentimes, the safest RAM to install in the system is RAM from the same manufacturer as RAM that is already installed. Is there any way you can get RAM that is identical to your current RAM as far as make and/or model?

How do I find out who the manufactuer of my RAM is? I checked both SYSTEM in Windows Control Panel and CPU-Z, and they just tell me that the RAM it came installed with is DDR4 8gb. When I open up the laptop itself it does not seem to have any logos or brandnames visible.

Apr 27, 2019
According to the manual for the ASUS X555QA laptop, the only RAM that is recommended is RAM from "authorized retailers" of the Notebook PC. This may mean that you are limited as to where you can purchase your RAM to reputable places that sell ASUS hardware.
Is a there a model# or serial# on the RAM module that you can look up on Google (the module is completely blank)?

Apr 27, 2019
X555QA
Memory
up to 16 GB SDRAM, DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM

A12-9700P
Supported memory: DDR4-1866

Since no one sells DDR4-1866MHz memory, 2133MHz would seem the type to use.

Thanks!

According to Crucial, the 16gb memory module I've been trying to get to work has "Speeds start at 2133 MT/s". Is that the same thing?

I originally ordered the 16 gb memory module on the basis of Crucial's scan saying it was compatible and that the system could support up to 24gb.

Seeing that ASUS contradicts Crucial and says it only supports up to 16gb (thanks for pointing that out, I shoulda checked the ASUS site first), I just ordered an 8gb one (bringing me up to 16gb total) that should arrive tomorrow. Other than having 8 less gb's, looks to be pretty much the same as the the 16gb. Hoping to at least rule out the capacity difference as a cause for the BSOD.

One concern: When I run CPU-Z with just the original 8gb of manufacturer installed memory, it says "Channel # Single" under the memory tab (which differs from the AMD A-12 specs you posted from CPUworld, which says "Memory channels: 2").

Any idea why this difference is showing up? More importantly, can this explain why im getting blue screens?

Apr 27, 2019
According to the manual for the ASUS X555QA laptop, the only RAM that is recommended is RAM from "authorized retailers" of the Notebook PC. This may mean that you are limited as to where you can purchase your RAM to reputable places that sell ASUS hardware.
Is a there a model# or serial# on the RAM module that you can look up on Google (the module is completely blank)?

There is no model or serial number visible around the memory expansion slot that I could see. I dont trust myself enough to open up the laptop body beyond that.