[SOLVED] IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD errors during gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I ran WhoCrashed to check the bsods and here is what it shows: View: https://imgur.com/a/1wCiK8v

In the conclusion section in WhoCrashed it said "6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found."

I got the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSOD error after about 30min-1h of playing VRchat in VR, after that when my PC restarted and I got on the same game in VR I played for over 2 hours straight with no bsod then I had to exit the game myself.
I got the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD error after exactly 30 minutes of playing Battlefield 4 on maxed out settings in 1440p.

I'm running the latest bios. (version 3204)
I ran:
-Cinebench R23 multicore which was a 10 minute test and got no bsod.
-Memtest86 for 45 minutes and got no errors.
-Windows Memory Diagnostic and it detected no errors.

Please help.

Last edited:
Solution
Uh oh: https://lian-li.com/product/pc-o11d-rog/
The side doesn't support 140mm radiator sizes, only the 120mm... so side mounting the Kraken X62 is a no-go there.

I have a suggestion in lieu of that, and it is a bit crazy - but sometimes, stuff just works.
Top intake: Kraken X62
Rear exhaust: 120mm
Side exhaust: 3x 120mm
Bottom intake: 3x 120mm

Colif

Win 11 Master
i swapped to a corsair kb just to use icue on it and my ram/AIO so I get not wanting to not use it. CPU now are so capable that i doubt Icue does much to slow them down.

lets see what last dumps blame before we go killing programs randomly.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
The side doesn't support 140mm radiator sizes, only the 120mm... so side mounting the Kraken X62 is a no-go there.

I have a suggestion in lieu of that, and it is a bit crazy - but sometimes, stuff just works.
Alright ill try that when I can, if it works im gonna have a hard time explaining to all the people screaming at me something along the lines of "TOP SHOULD BE EXHAUST BECAUSE AIR NATURALLY RISES" 😅

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/36148nqe/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:022521-12609-01.dmp (Feb 25 2021 - 07:36:17)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
, if it works im gonna have a hard time explaining to all the people screaming at me something along the lines of "TOP SHOULD BE EXHAUST BECAUSE AIR NATURALLY RISES"
My last case was built on that principle, heat rises. lets have 3 x 180mm fans in base of case and blow all the heat out. But it wasn't designed for water cooling, only air. no way to put a radiator in it without cutting parts of the case out. Same makers newer case does exactly that... but I digress.

They are correct, heat rises. And all the heat from your 3090 is going through the radiator before it leaves case, so it + the CPU heat is what is causing the temperature warnings. Too many cases only support 120mm fans everywhere, good cases like this Lian Li and a recent Corsair, its almost like they make money selling 120mm fans..

Also, multiple things happen with the heated air from those cards.
-absorbed by mobo/side panel glass
-down and back into gpu fans
-up and through the cpu cooler and rear exhaust
i was hoping it would exit, split up and go through the two sides of the pc, where the exhausts are.
you could go all exhaust except the AIO, negative pressure, then air from gpu has everyway apart from up

Meanwhile, the BSOD txt isn't obvious so I look at old drivers as they can be cause. Alas, age isn't really only reason... newer drivers can cause these two. But I have to start somewhere.

wonders what this is
as its too old for windows 10 - i would run this and stop it at startup - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns - it doesn't take it off pc, just stops it at startup. if something needs it, it can be started. Its an unknown driver that I couldn't find online in a short search.

Bluetooth is getting old
Sep 12 2012btwsecfl.sysBroadcom Bluetooth IT Manager Filter driver (Broadcom Corporation)
Jun 22 2016btwusb.sysBluetooth USB Device driver (Broadcom Corporation)

I guess Display link XR is for VR

I remember mentioning intel and Realtek LAN, I guess PC isn't plugged in so hard to change anything.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017

Did exactly that, so far I played Horizon for over half an hour, the gpu reached max 72c and the cpu has hit max 63c but mostly stayed around 57-58c (much cooler than before where it was easily hitting 67c)
Played battlefield for around 20min and the cpu ran at least 10c cooler than before and gpu hit max 74c. No bsods so far, need a lot more time to play though to be sure it was the temps.
This fan setup is for sure crazy, but so far it seems like it's giving me good results, although the gpu does seem to run warmer, looking at battlefield, the gpu ran 2-3c warmer which is no where near as bad.

At what point should I be worrying about the gpu temps? is 75c on the gpu a perfectly fine temp?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That 10c difference is from not inhaling all of the gpu heat. If the 2 140mm fans are directly above the gpu in a pull situation, blowing cool air into PC, none of its heat will get into radiator if its got better choices. Its the best you can do with what you have. if you had space a push pull affair using 4 fans on the 280 would help reduce temps further.

I am no expert on aio, I have only had one for 6 months. I originally thought top was best for them too until it was explained that in Australia its better to suck cool air from outside of case than to have a the aio on top, using air pre heated by gpu etc. Regardless of how I saw them set up in almost every video. My 3600xt really doesn't heat the liquid inside the Radiator up that much, my cpu idles at 40c, Icue reports liquid is at 30c. thats the max temp of the air going into my case. So any concern about having rad on front blowing "hot" air into PC is exaggerated. disregarding always hot things like my GPU and NVME, hottest thing in pc is 37c.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flame1

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
That 10c difference is from not inhaling all of the gpu heat. If the 2 140mm fans are directly above the gpu in a pull situation, blowing cool air into PC, none of its heat will get into radiator if its got better choices. Its the best you can do with what you have. if you had space a push pull affair using 4 fans on the 280 would help reduce temps further.

I am no expert on aio, I have only had one for 6 months. I originally thought top was best for them too until it was explained that in Australia its better to suck cool air from outside of case than to have a the aio on top, using air pre heated by gpu etc. Regardless of how I saw them set up in almost every video. My 3600xt really doesn't heat the liquid inside the Radiator up that much, my cpu idles at 40c, Icue reports liquid is at 30c. thats the max temp of the air going into my case. So any concern about having rad on front blowing "hot" air into PC is exaggerated. disregarding always hot things like my GPU and NVME, hottest thing in pc is 37c.
75C is perfectly fine for gpu core thermals. Worry when it starts pushing 83C+.
Vram has a bit higher room - say, 90C+? Hwinfo recently updated to be able to report Vram thermals for 3080s and 3090s. More models to be included in time.
I've been playing in VR for 3.5h and not a single bsod, no issues at all since I switched the fans around as @Phaaze88 suggested. The cpu temp was around 58-61c the whole time and gpu was at 60c. It seems like the issue for all those bsods really was just the cpu being harassed by the heat from the 3090.
Thank you all so much for taking your time and helping me.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've been playing in VR for 3.5h and not a single bsod, no issues at all since I switched the fans around as @Phaaze88 suggested. The cpu temp was around 58-61c the whole time and gpu was at 60c. It seems like the issue for all those bsods really was just the cpu being harassed by the heat from the 3090.
Thank you all so much for taking your time and helping me.
(y)
Looks like it was indeed related to thermals - but I don't believe it was the cpu.
That's not the only part above the 3090 that could've been getting hot - besides, I don't recall you ever reporting any particularly dangerous cpu thermals.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
(y)
Looks like it was indeed related to thermals - but I don't believe it was the cpu.
That's not the only part above the 3090 that could've been getting hot - besides, I don't recall you ever reporting any particularly dangerous cpu thermals.
yeah, although the cpu was getting really hot it wasn't really that hot, so maybe it was the RAM getting too hot instead, I have no idea, I just know that right now it all works very well.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ram is good up to 90C, IIRC - plus most users get models with heatspreaders anyway.
It would be hard to roast those.

Speculating - MOSFETs, or the PCH(chipset), or if you have an NVMe drive installed in that slot right above the top PCIe slot...

But yeah, it all works now, and that matters more!
Enjoy!