IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL [BSoD] [Windows 8.1]

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 2, 2018
Hello:

I have been encountering this BSoD lately; IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

If anyone can help identifying what causes this BSoD to occur, I would appreciate it.

Minidump files:
http://

Notes:

■ This BSoD occurred over 3 times, in the last week, but only two minidump files were stored.
■ I couldn't find a pattern of when this BSoD occurs; seems to occur randomly.
■ The last program I installed was MalwareBytes.
■ I performed SFC /scannow; there were no issues detected.
■ I performed DISM ... /restorehealth; "the component store corruption was repaired."
■ MalwareBytes scan indicated that the system was clean.
■ Bitdefender system scan indicated that the system was clean.

Laptop Specifications:

Model: Lenovo G510
CPU: i7-4700MQ
RAM: 16 GB
Storage: SanDisk Ultra SSD 500 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon OPAL XT/GL 2 GB

If I missed any details, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
well, it identifies 1 of the drivers for us. Intel GPU drivers. Now to find newer ones...

Your CPU has Intel® HD Graphics 4600

try running auto update here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600

The other is LAN as I said before...

speccy shows ethernet as: Qualcomm Atheros AR8172/8176/8178 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
WIFI as Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

I can find version 8.0.1.314 of the WIFI drivers from 24 Dec 2013, your current version is dated 31 Mar 2013. There appears to only be 1 version of them for win 8. I normally don't link driver sites, but you can't get drivers from Qualcomm so its difficult -...
Sep 2, 2018

Speccy Report:
http://

*I took liberty in removing irrelevant/personal details from the report.

I use WiFi.
In the device manager, both WiFi and LAN are Qualcomm Atheros.

Yes, Lonovo's website doesn't update the drivers; lazy.

Yes, laptop has Intel GPU and AMD GPU.

I had just finished a comprehensive hardware test via Lenovo's Solution Center program; came out clean.
Then, I proceeded to opening "device manager" & "programs and features." This is because I was going to uninstall all drivers only to reinstall them from Lenovo's website.
Next, boom, BSoD.

Note, I didn't uninstall any drivers right before the BSoD.
However, as I mentioned in a previous reply, I did remove optional drivers-- the other day.

BTW, before you commented this, I went ahead and uninstalled all drivers from Lenovo's website found at "Programs and Features."

Important note: programs for WiFi and LAN were uninstalled within the first week of clean windows install-- Aug. 2017. Because WiFi was erratic. After I uninstalled the Atheros program for WiFi, my WiFi problems went away.

I still haven't removed any drivers directly from Device Manager.

Could you boot into safe mode for testing. It will save you time in removing everything and will be 1 of the ultimate tests to determine whether it's hardware or software. This is regardless of any software that's used for hardware testing, software cannot detect all possible issues with hardware and safe mode is somewhat the best/closest to hardware testing with software (at least imo).

Sep 2, 2018

I will boot into safe mode, and try to use it and watch it like a hawk.

So, if a BSoD occur while in safe mode, there's a high possibility that the issue is hardware related.

On the other hand, if a BSoD doesn't occur while in safe mode, we gain little to no information; I don't know what cause these BSoD's; frequency of BSoD's occurrence seems variable.

*Just trying to understand-- not arguing or criticizing

Exactly.

The issue with the symbols is that we cannot trust the output and it limits the analysis.
I've once given a wrong analysis, because I assumed that the output was right even though there were symbol errors, after I corrected the symbol errors the output was completely different.
A minidump shows a portion of a single process, this portion is the recent work the process was doing that couldn't be allowed, with symbol errors the problem is that the tools used don't know how to display or what it is we want to access.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/U89V.html

File: 090618-5671-01.dmp (Sep 6 2018 - 07:04:36)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Probably caused by: ndis.sys (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

File: 090618-5546-01.dmp (Sep 6 2018 - 06:52:37)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for igdkmd64.sys
Probably caused by: dxgmms1.sys (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 15 Min(s), and 47 Sec(s)

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, it identifies 1 of the drivers for us. Intel GPU drivers. Now to find newer ones...

Your CPU has Intel® HD Graphics 4600

try running auto update here - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/81496/Intel-HD-Graphics-4600

The other is LAN as I said before...

speccy shows ethernet as: Qualcomm Atheros AR8172/8176/8178 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
WIFI as Qualcomm Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter

I can find version 8.0.1.314 of the WIFI drivers from 24 Dec 2013, your current version is dated 31 Mar 2013. There appears to only be 1 version of them for win 8. I normally don't link driver sites, but you can't get drivers from Qualcomm so its difficult - https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-nr-294-for-atheros-AR9485WB-and-Windows8.html

Qualcomm does not offer support or drivers to end consumers. Qualcomm sells Integrated Circuits (ICs) to module manufacturers or other Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and under contractual obligations cannot offer end user support.

https://www.qualcomm.com/drivers

Alternate is remove the drivers you have now and reinstall again, the drivers on Lenovo site are for 8.1, they should work since they were before. It could be a conflict between latest version of Bit defender and your lan drivers. Or even Malwarebytes as well. Both are newer than LAN drivers.

Solution
Sep 2, 2018

Sorry for not replying over the weekend; was busy and testing my theory.
Thank you both for sticking with me.
From my testing and your analysis, I can confidently say that it was the MalwareBytes software that was causing other drivers to crash.

After I did the Safe Mode test, I proceeded with uninstalling MalwareBytes, last program I installed, and I haven't had any BSoD's since then.
I don't really need MalwareBytes, so I don't think I'll update the drivers.

Note: Some time ago, I did what you suggested; try to auto update intel graphics driver from their website. The installer shows an error/incompatibility message. However, I could install the driver manually, zip file download, and browse for the .inf file. This caused my screen to turn off display, black, and turn back on. A message is shown from the graphics driver that it had to restart-- can't remember the exact message. So, I rolled back to the driver currently installed.

Thank you: Colif, gradenman, and axe0axe0.

The problem has been solved.