Question irql_not_less_or_equal BSOD

Sep 24, 2020
So recently i updated my windows 10 BIOS using the BIOS for windows 8 for my laptop which is an Hp Envy M6 1105dx. And recently there was a game called "Genshin Impact" and so i tried playing it. It was fine for around a couple of minutes until i get BSOD and at the bottom it says "irql_not_less_or_equal ", only that and nothing else.I suspect that what causing it is the game itself because so far i have been playing other games too and there were no any BSOD on those games. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Sep 24, 2020
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xuHuTTkvdrr-tlsMXfmNt5ic7WfJpHiW?usp=sharing
here is the link, so far when i opened the minidump folder i got 3 dmp files, 2 were from yesterday October 3 and the other one was from today October 4.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Unfortunately this is just a "scattergun" approach and could end up doing a lot of work for nothing. And if it does fix something, we'd ideally need to know what it was. IRQL is often misbehaving drivers, so Windows Repair would not really do anything if it's just a module at too high an IRQL for example.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xuHuTTkvdrr-tlsMXfmNt5ic7WfJpHiW?usp=sharing
here is the link, so far when i opened the minidump folder i got 3 dmp files, 2 were from yesterday October 3 and the other one was from today October 4.
The link is saying access denied unfortunately. You'll need to set it to public and share :)

Sep 24, 2020
Unfortunately this is just a "scattergun" approach and could end up doing a lot of work for nothing. And if it does fix something, we'd ideally need to know what it was. IRQL is often misbehaving drivers, so Windows Repair would not really do anything if it's just a module at too high an IRQL for example.

The link is saying access denied unfortunately. You'll need to set it to public and share :)
oh im sorry about the link, here i tried putting it on mediafire instead http://www.mediafire.com/folder/8vztklzl55vfh/dump

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) in the link below.
If you are prompted to "Run only if trusted" simply click play/run and the html will be viewed. This warning is always present.

Report: https://jsfiddle.net/tp5rvhu2/show/

Summary of findings:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Probably caused by : dxgmms1.sys ( dxgmms1!VIDMM_PROCESS_HEAP::Rotate+2e2 )
--------------------
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
--------------------
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

@Colif

DX are your MS Graphics drivers, however Microsoft Drivers are never the issue really. However we do see this one pop up when it is your dedicated GPU drivers that are at fault. I can see your ATI drivers date back to 2015 and whilst I know it is an older laptop, I suspect you probably have some updated GPU drivers.

The Genshin impact you have downloaded I believe has an anti-cheat driver attached to it, and whilst there is not anything in these dump files initially that would say it is causing a problem, anti-cheat drivers are renowned for causing issues.

Additional Info
Code:
2: kd> .trap fffffb06`122a6e20
NOTE: The trap frame does not contain all registers.
Some register values may be zeroed or incorrect.
rax=0000000000000000 rbx=0000000000000000 rcx=fffffb06122a66f8
rdx=0000000000000000 rsi=0000000000000000 rdi=0000000000000000
rip=fffff803832c9373 rsp=fffffb06122a6fb0 rbp=ffff99818d398180
r8=0000000000000000  r9=000000000000002e r10=00000000ffffffff
r11=00000000000000f8 r12=0000000000000000 r13=0000000000000000
r14=0000000000000000 r15=0000000000000000
iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na po cy
nt!KeSetEvent+0x173:
fffff803`832c9373 4d8b6d00        mov     r13,qword ptr [r13] ds:00000000`00000000=????????????????

Sep 24, 2020
@Colif

DX are your MS Graphics drivers, however Microsoft Drivers are never the issue really. However we do see this one pop up when it is your dedicated GPU drivers that are at fault. I can see your ATI drivers date back to 2015 and whilst I know it is an older laptop, I suspect you probably have some updated GPU drivers.

The Genshin impact you have downloaded I believe has an anti-cheat driver attached to it, and whilst there is not anything in these dump files initially that would say it is causing a problem, anti-cheat drivers are renowned for causing issues.
So the cause is my graphics drivers?if then should i download an older driver because what i did is got into device manager and click update driver on it and it just download a 2015 driver whereas when i go to hp support drivers i can see a 2012 driver for Win8 and another 2013 driver for Win8.1

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020
Not saying necessarily either.

I am waiting for colleagues to also comment on this. But my first port of call would be to update your GPU drivers as far as possible.
I think this is the updated driver i can have because on hp support i can only see graphics drivers dating back 2012 and 2013

Colif

Win 11 Master
dxgmms1 is Direct X. Almost every time I see this crash the cause is the graphics card or at least, its drivers. the stack text tends to look like video operations so I don't think this is the 1% of cases that is sound related.

You are not far from the newest drivers that work on that APU - https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/...ies-apu-for-laptops/a10-4600m-radeon-hd-7660g

Yours is dated 7th July 2015, this is dated 29th July 2015

did the laptop always have 8gb of ram?

Sep 24, 2020
dxgmms1 is Direct X. Almost every time I see this crash the cause is the graphics card or at least, its drivers. the stack text tends to look like video operations so I don't think this is the 1% of cases that is sound related.

You are not far from the newest drivers that work on that APU - https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/...ies-apu-for-laptops/a10-4600m-radeon-hd-7660g

Yours is dated 7th July 2015, this is dated 29th July 2015

did the laptop always have 8gb of ram?
Ok so i downloaded the one that says 7/29/2015 after that when i looked at device manager>display adapters>and click on my graphics it says 03/08/2015 where i assume it should be 7/29/2015. Ram was originally 6gb but i have a spare 4gb ram so i just swapped the 2gb for the 4gb, both 4gb are 1600mhz.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how long you been running the different ram? just wondering if it might be cause... using 2 different makes/sticks can cause problems, or work fine, its a lottery.

could be they updated the software without changing the date on package, the date isn't that much different. A few days at most.

Sep 24, 2020
how long you been running the different ram? just wondering if it might be cause... using 2 different makes/sticks can cause problems, or work fine, its a lottery.

could be they updated the software without changing the date on package, the date isn't that much different. A few days at most.
ive been running the different ram for months already and everything is working smooth with it i can play other games with 0 problems. I tried getting into their discord and it seems that it is the game that has a problem because alot/most of the people in the discord where getting freeze/bsod especially with integrated intel/amd gpu, the people on discord said there were no fix yet for integrated gpu's might be because the devs were on holiday in there country

Sep 24, 2020
Your GPU built into the CPU will run off your system ram. If it's not 100% good then your GPU will have prblems (amongts other things)

Is the ram you're using recommended by HP?
I think the ram is a legit one because initially the first 4gb ram is originally installed there and the second 4gb ram is the spare ram i have from another laptop which is originally installed in that another laptop

Sep 24, 2020
Do you have two different sticks of ram or are they the same part number?

Have you confirmed with HP that they are OK in your laptop?
im pretty sure they have the same part number but i havent confirmed it with HP. I just decided to not play the game anymore since it is the one causing the BSOD as far as i know and i think because my laptop cant handle the game properly.

So recently i updated my windows 10 BIOS using the BIOS for windows 8 for my laptop which is an Hp Envy M6 1105dx. And recently there was a game called "Genshin Impact" and so i tried playing it. It was fine for around a couple of minutes until i get BSOD and at the bottom it says "irql_not_less_or_equal ", only that and nothing else.I suspect that what causing it is the game itself because so far i have been playing other games too and there were no any BSOD on those games. Any thoughts on this?
you have two copies of overclocking software tweaking your cpu. You need to remove both and see if the problem goes away.

AODDriver2 AODDriver2.sys Tue Feb 11 03:06:52 2014 (52FA044C)
AODDriver2_fffff80381590000 AODDriver2.sys Tue Oct 29 17:58:36 2013

these are being run from different directories and are a likely cause of your issue

Why do AMD drivers duplicate like this, the other case was Ryzen Master which is almost identical purpose program as AMD Overdrive

wonder if they in different folders as I have seen it like this before...
motherboard vendors might put out a package for install then someone might get another installer directly from AMD.

amd installer AMD Drivers and Support for Radeon, Radeon Pro, FirePro, APU, CPU, Ryzen, desktops, laptops

both vendors installers should check for the install state of the driver so they don't mess up.