[SOLVED] IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error won't stop no matter what I've tried.

Jun 16, 2018
Just a quick bit of back story, I recently won a watercooled computer, i9900K, 32GB RAM, RTX 2070, absolutely beautiful and powerful beast. When I got it last week, turned it on and everything was fine for about 20 minutes until I encountered my first BSOD error, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Thought nothing of it because it was a brand new system, why would there be an error? I turned it off and started to put my own storage in, my 250GB 960 EVO ssd and a 2TB hard drive. Changed boot setting so all of my old stuff would be back and everything was fine, then more problems were happening.

The BSOD errors I got within 5 hours:
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I got in contact with the people who ran the competition who suggested I try the following
- Check if your drivers are up to date and disable Windows Fast Startup - Everything was up to date, didn't work, still getting errors.
- SFC Scan - showed nothing wrong.
- Use MSI Dragon Centre software to check if BIOS are up to date - the link they sent me didn't work and I couldn't find a link anywhere else.
- Clean reinstall of windows - This one took me the longest, I got 58% through it and it kept crashing on me.

Now the clean install of windows lasted about 2 hours before it started crashing AGAIN with the same IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error.
I'm absolutely stumped on what to do. So now not only did the clean install not work, but now I have to download EVERYTHING again, and all of my files are now gone. (30+ games installed somehow uninstalled themselves before the wipe, and my download speed is 1.2mbps, feels bad man)
Can anyone help me figure out what's going wrong?

Thank you in advance,

Kasey.

Solution
Lets see what windows thinks is the problem

Before running this,
1) search for “Create a restore point” and create a restore point
2) Create a bootable USB of Win 10 installer to use as a boot drive. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.
Once it bsod, upload the minidump file and we see what it shows us.

Steps 1 & 2 are just precautions as sometimes driver verifer can put you in a boot loop. If this happen, follow these steps to get out of it
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

Jun 16, 2018

Hi,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.
Since I wrote this I hadn't had any BSOD until today. I did run memtest86 and had no errors with any of the ram sticks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygi6kmx5gsmh9hz/020819-10250-01.dmp?dl=0

This is for the error I encountered today.

Thanks so much for your help

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/czi9.html

File: 020819-10250-01.dmp (Feb 8 2019 - 03:43:03)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: MsMpEng.exe)
Uptime: 8 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 39 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner)

BIOS information was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information soon. Please wait for more answers. Good luck.

Jun 16, 2018

Hi Colif,
Updated the drivers as you said a couple of days ago. I've just gotten another IRQL BSOD.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpcyjq9es2l62yo/021019-9218-01.dmp?dl=0

Someone also said it could be MSI afterburner, so just in case I've uninstalled that too.
I don't know if this has any significance but I'm only getting these errors when I'm playing Sims 4.

Thanks again.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/h1Yo.html

File: 021019-9218-01.dmp (Feb 9 2019 - 20:09:05)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: Origin.exe)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 22 Sec(s)

I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information soon. Please wait for more answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Lets see what windows thinks is the problem

Before running this,
1) search for “Create a restore point” and create a restore point
2) Create a bootable USB of Win 10 installer to use as a boot drive. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

Try running driver verifer, just read the instructions carefully. It is part of win 10 designed to find misbehaving drivers. It will cause BSOD, that is its job since it tests drivers.
Once it bsod, upload the minidump file and we see what it shows us.

Steps 1 & 2 are just precautions as sometimes driver verifer can put you in a boot loop. If this happen, follow these steps to get out of it
change boot order so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose system restore and roll system back to restore point created in step 1. PC should boot normally.

Can you give me a parts listing too since you couldn't find link to bios?

Solution