IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL when freshly installing windows 8.1

Beaver420

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Hello there, this is my first post on this forums. I am here to ask if any of you know how to solve this annoying "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error. I have tried numerous things such as formatting my hard drive, disabling my WLAN card ect. but these things wont work. Before the format my pc was on windows 7, please can you help me?

These are my specs, roughly:
Intel i3 CPU
4GB RAM
AMD Graphics Card
Edimax N600 Wireless Dule-Band PCI Express Adapter (EW-7722PnD)
140GB Hard Drive (Upgrading Soon)
GIGABYTE GA-H61M-D2H

Beaver420

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

Thanks for your reply but this didn't work, also The drivers are already uninstalled since the hard drive is formatted.

This error usually happens when its getting devices ready at 10% or something.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
OK, then I would try and check your memory modules.

First check that the settings in BIOS are according to the modules you are using, second do a diagnostic of the modules to see if they are faulty.

Beaver420

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

Could you tell me how, I'm kinda new to this stuff.

Beaver420

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
Ok so I managed to install windows 8.1 by taking my network card out, installing it and then putting it back in but then when I reinstalled the network cards drivers, I get the error again so I'm guessing it's something to do with the drivers?

soewhaty

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
have the same issue ... any response???

it is 100% the wireless module

this here - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-1853792/fix-irql-equal-error-installing-windows-1preview-fix.html

describes the workaround, but however, when I later on do insert the wireless card then Windows gives the same error message and won't let me enter the desktop environment and thus I cannot install the correct drivers. Otherwise, when I unplug the wireless card I do get access to the desktop environment, but that, as I said, is with the card unplugged. So having it unplugged means that I cannot install the proper drivers for it. And when I plug it, Windows won't boot! What a dilemma??? The story behind my issue is that I had the Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 wifi card, but since it is not dual band I decided to upgrade it to the Ralink RT3592 and so the 'Ralink RT3592' is obviously the culprit now with win 8.1.

PS
I did try all these options that Win 8.1 gives, but no results :(
1 enable debugging
2 enable boot logging
3 enable low-res video
4 enable Safe Mode
5 enable Safe Mode with networking
6 enable Safe Mode with CMD
7 DISABLE DRIVER SIGNATURE ENFORCEMEN (HAD HIGH HOPES OF THIS ONE, BUT ... :( )
8 disable early launch anti-malware protection
9 disable auto restart after failure

The only thing that allowed me access Win 8.1 was having the wifi module removed. Perhaps it's worth mentioning that I too have Win 7 installed on the same SSD but just on a separate partition and Win7 had no problems with the wifi module at all.

soewhaty

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Somehow '4 enable Safe Mode' worked and I was able to boot Win 8.1 while the WiFi card was in the PC. I think I succeeded in that after having removed the card once and at that time having also installed the drivers for the wifi card, which didn't really seem to install successfully, but luckily once I put the card back in the PC and tried to boot Win8.1 in safe mode, it worked and I was able to point the wifi card [in Device Manager] to the right driver. Beware, go to Device Manager then to the properties of the WiFi card, then under Driver' Update Driver', then 'Browse my computer for driver software', then the bottom option 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer', then checkmark on 'Show compatible hardware' then try out the available drivers there. That's what worked for me. Hope it works for you too!

Akhil_2

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I was able to fix this issue by removing WLAN card from laptop. Thanks to this forum. Been struggling from 5 days. I thought harddisk was the culprit but never thought WLAN was the one. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS