Irql_not_less_or_equal windows 7 unable to start

pantshikha84

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hello. I am facing a blue screen error with the message IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL in windows 7 and the system has failed to start. The system recognizes CD-Rom and runs Windows 7 but restarts again. I am able to reach all the boot options including Safe Mode by pressing F8 button but safe mode also does not works. Windows 7 was reinstalled on the same hard disk day before yesterday on a different system and it worked. Don't know if it is a mother board issue or some cable fault. Please advice.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a driver bug. What's happening is a driver on your system is trying to do something that's specifically disallowed (interrupting a higher priority method, usually related to inappropriate I/O).

If you can't get into Windows to reinstall drivers, the fastest way to get running again is going to be to reinstall Windows.

pantshikha84

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

Hi. The problem is that I am unable to install Windows 7 and the system automatically restarts. The system recognizes the Hard Disk & CD-Rom from which I am trying to install Windows 7. It also shows all the boot options including safe mode but none of the option works. The same hard disk has been tried on a different mother board, RAM & SMPS and I was able to install the OS. This is pretty sure that there is no problem with the Hard Disk. I guess it is a fault with the motherboard ASUS P5N73-AM. Please suggest all possible options \ solution to overcome this issue.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

I already told you what's wrong, it's not my fault you won't believe me. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a crash caused by a device driver problem. You can tell me whatever you want, but if that's the message you're getting, it is a driver problem.

Specifically, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL happens when memory is paged and the a driver attempts access to that block of memory. This results in a disk access, but disk accesses aren't legal at this interrupt level (thus the name of the error). So, the driver requires an operation that can never complete, and your computer crashes.

The same hard disk has been tried on a different mother board, RAM & SMPS and I was able to install the OS. This is pretty sure that there is no problem with the Hard Disk.
I know, I told you in my first post that it was a driver problem.