irql_not_less_or_equal

TattooJoe

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
i am trying to install windows xp sp2 onto my computer...it gets to 34 minutes remaining and then that irql_not_less_or_equal blue screen comes up...and...then it began the memory dump...i dont know what to do...i cant boot into safe mode because this is a fresh install...please help....

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
In my own experience, 90% of the time that error is caused by conflicting hardware. PCI cards or drivers using the same IRQ channel, and competing for it, causing a Hardware Conflict. This is easy to spot by right clicking Properties on MY Computer, goto Hardware Tab, then Device Manager. See if there are any yellow question marks on any hardware, and that'd be a good sign. Uninstall drivers and reinstall, or disable something to resolve it. I've actually never had that issue with something like SP2 upgrade, it usually happens with high-end games that demand a lot of power. But, yeah, def. check the Device Manager.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
if sp2 is refusing to install why do you keep trying on that?
is sp2 necessary to you?
i did not install that.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
You need sp2 if you don't want to be as vulnerable to threats. I guess you can try a diff operating system such as sp1 to see if it works though. Then you know that something is wrong with your copy.

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
Firewalls are a pain in the a$$. I never have one run. They make everything online slower, and they block alot of things i want, and they are like a five year old asking constant permission for things.Also sp2 is more stable so it's less likely to crash.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
TattooJoe:

--make sure you have the latest bios flash for your mobo
--find out at which stage during the setup stage it blue screens
--disable non-essencial components from your bios, such as onboard audio, vidoe (if you dont use it), usb devices, firewire, and other controllers which are not necessary to boot
--are you seeing a hex error code? such as 0x00000000 format