Question irql_not_less_or_equal

May 25, 2019
Hello everyone! I currently experienced several BSoD during the past few weeks, ranging from MEMORY_MANAGEMENT to IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I did everthing I could, considering I'm not super good with computers. I've run hours over hours of memtest+, did all the tricks I could find (sfc /scannow, play with DISM, uninstall drivers and all) and my computer is still crashing alot. Temperature on my hardware is ok. Who crashed and blue screen view point toward NDIS.SYS or NTOSKRNL.exe but they don't tell me which drivers make them crash. I'm truly desperate right now. I think it my be the network adapter on my motherboard and I want to be a 100% sure it's this before contacting the company for an exchange.

If you have a program to list my spec so I can post them here, don't hesitate. Same thing if you need files or stuff like this (I think my dump files are deleting after a while)

Thank you in advance!

P.S: Also, from time to time, my pc doesn't want to restart by itself after a BSoD. It's stuck on 0% and I can't do anything but restart it. I'm on windows 10 pro I think. 64bit)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hi Veilyanne, welcome to the forums!

Whocrashed and Bluescreen are useful for obvious BSOD, but unfortunately most of them aren't obvious and as you say, it's usually a third party driver causing a windows driver to fault.

Can you post a link to the raw minidump files?

May 25, 2019
Could you help me with that? Like I said, I think my previous dump files were cleaned from my computer during the night. Also, do you need a full dump or is a partial one ok for you to work with (so I can change the settings to your liking). Last question, what do you want me to use to link the dump file? Any website to your liking? Thank you in advance!

rejiix

Commendable
Sep 28, 2017
I know you are not "good with computers", but if you can do this, I would start by dgetting an USB drive with Linux to that PC, to identify whether it's a hardware or a software problem. If the problems continue (kernel errors, shutdowns, etc..) it's hardware related, and you are in deep s**t. If not, redownload Windows, and you SHOULD be fine.

How to get Linux
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/create-a-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive-the-easy-way/

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Could you help me with that? Like I said, I think my previous dump files were cleaned from my computer during the night. Also, do you need a full dump or is a partial one ok for you to work with (so I can change the settings to your liking). Last question, what do you want me to use to link the dump file? Any website to your liking? Thank you in advance!

Yes I can debug the dump files without using that software (Whocrashed etc) to check everything running and look at the processes leading up the crash (and more) if you can get me the dump files. A minidump is fine, a full dump gives me more, but usually the minidump is enough to point us in the right direction.

No preference on where you upload it, google drive is usually easiest - just make it so I can download it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
So far so long, the computer doesn't crash in safe mode (without network). I've been there a couple times to uninstall drivers and whatnot.

Well if it continues to not crash in safe mode, you probably have a software problem.

The "without network" is what is raising a flag. Ethernet and wireless drivers are very commonly causing these kind of issues, and can cause a variety of BSOD because almost every key application you use, requires internet access, so it trips up everytime it tries to communicate with your wireless/ethernet adapter.

May 25, 2019
Yeah, you see, I just had a crash while downloading a game from steam, to see if my computer would crash. The thing is, during the blue screen, it doesn't create a dump file. It stay at 0% until I restart the computer.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well either way, until you can post the dump file, first thing I would do is update BIOS, and try and find an update to your wireless drivers.
I know the Atheros ones have been causing some issues lately - I've also had a couple from Ralink/MediaTek causing BSODs.

May 25, 2019
I have a Asrock b450M pro4 (motherboard). I already updated the BIOS a couple days ago. I'll try to find a way to crash my pc so it gives me a dump file and come back to you. Thank you again for helping me.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run this through the debugger and found the following:

You can view the full report here: https://pste.eu/p/QpHN.html

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (a)
An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high. This is usually
caused by drivers using improper addresses.

The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.

BugCheck A, {1be0, 2, 0, fffff8030f4db299}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!MI_IS_PTE_IN_WS_SWAP_SET+d)

So you'll see in the report the third party modules that were loaded during the time of the crash. And I noticed the following:
  • Intel(R) Gigabit Adapter NDIS appears as though it could be out of date - this could very easily be a cause for BSOD.
  • ASRock App Charger is from 2011 - and I have researched to find that this driver can be a common cause for various BSOD so you may want to update this or remove it.
  • SteelSeries Engine HID Driver - you may want to verify if this is up to date
I didn't notice anything abnormal in the stack leading to the crash - which is what would initially lead me to looking at your Internet adapter drivers. Are you only running ethernet or are you running wireless also?

I would also look at your App Charger module as this has been known to cause BSOD in the past.

May 25, 2019
I am only connected via ethernet at the moment. I don't have any wireless adapter on my computer. I will uninstall the app charger (I installed it recently just in case) and check if I can update the other stuff you mentionned. If I have other BSoD during the process, I'll put them here. Thank you again for your help!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Overall it does tend to point towards one item:

The NDIS drivers - which is directly related to your network adapter.
  • The Intel NDIS interface was a loaded module during your last crash
  • you also state that you have difficulty downloading items from the internet on steam, finally,
  • your Intel NDIS driver is out of date
  • This doesn't occur when you are in safe mode without networking.
  • Faulty network drivers can cause various BSOD as almost every application will communicate via internet.
All this points to the network driver from my point of view - but I suspect it is just a case of updating it.

May 25, 2019
Can you provide me a link toward downloading the update of my Intel(R) Gigabit Adapter NDIS since I don't really know where to go from there. I'm searching the internet right now and it's kinda confusing since I don't really know what I'm looking for right now.

May 25, 2019
Alright, while I was trying to type a response, my computer completely froze and I had to restart my pc by pressing the reset button. Everything was good, my download speed was ok while I was downloading my game via Steam....but this crash was unexpected. No BSoD, just that I couldn't do anything. My pc was completely frozen. Like if I was watching a screenshot.

Latest posts