Question Irrational grinding noise

Mar 8, 2021
I have an MSI Leopard Pro (GP62MVR 6RF) gaming laptop that has recently started making this horrid grinding noise in the lower left hand side near one of the USB 3.0 ports and I have no idea why. It sounds like a dirty fan or an old HDD going bad, however there are only two fans inside which are at the top and I only have SSD's installed. I've taken it apart and cleaned it several times, as well as inspected it thoroughly in that area while inside it. There are absolutely no moving parts of any kind there and I'm at my wit's end with it. The only thing I've found that will make it stop (for an oh, so brief and heavenly silent few seconds) is to give it a good, solid rap with my knuckle right next to the USB. Please help. What on earth could be making this horrible noise?!

Like you said I just checked the interior of that laptop and the fan are at the top and since you have no HDD in that laptop I have no idea what could be causing the grinding noise.

Any way you can record the noise and post it somewhere?

Normally it's a fan, HDD since it's the only moving parts.

Mar 8, 2021
Like you said I just checked the interior of that laptop and the fan are at the top and since you have no HDD in that laptop I have no idea what could be causing the grinding noise.

Any way you can record the noise and post it somewhere?

Normally it's a fan, HDD since it's the only moving parts.
View: https://youtu.be/d4zkJa2-_SU
Thats how it sounds at its worst, which is most of the time when the noise starts. There's another video posted that shows when its not as 'angry' lol. If I let it sit and run for a while it generally stops, but will randomly start doing it again when its in the mood to tick me off

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021
That is def something moving. You sure there is no fan there?
I'm positive. I've taken it apart to clean and inspect that area repeatedly. The only thing I can think of is the USB port there is going bad and causing the sound somehow. The next time I take it apart I'll take pics and post them

Mar 8, 2021
Here they are. Sorry it took so long. If anyone spots whats making the noise, please feel free to point it out
https://ibb.co/ZYJzfXj

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS