[SOLVED] Irregular availability of ethernet.

May 8, 2020
My laptop has a problem were it won't recognize that my ethernet cable is inserted. This happens irregular. One day it works fine, the next only wifi is available for use. Is there any driver that I need to install to fix this? Or do you have another possible solution? My current Networkadapters are: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9, VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. I have the following laptop: HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae046nd (ENERGY STAR)

Solution
I would try another known working cable first. If you're still having issues, I would then boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if you have the same issue there. If you do have the same issue, I would carefully examine the jack on the laptop for a loose jack or bend wires in the jack.

Ralston18

Titan
Are you certain that, at any given time, only one of the laptop's network adapters (either wired or wireless) is enabled?

When trying wired are you using a known working, at speed, ethernet cable?

When using wireless, have you tried changing channels and/or frequencies?

Do any other devices on your network have connection problems?

Are you able to run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt and post the results?

kanewolf

Titan
My laptop has a problem were it won't recognize that my ethernet cable is inserted. This happens irregular. One day it works fine, the next only wifi is available for use. Is there any driver that I need to install to fix this? Or do you have another possible solution? My current Networkadapters are: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, TAP-NordVPN Windows Adapter V9, VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter. I have the following laptop: HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae046nd (ENERGY STAR)
This is often an indication of a bad cable. Moving it just slightly while plugging or unplugging can cause it to work, other times it does not. Start by replacing the cable with a factory made 100% copper cat5e cable.

I would try another known working cable first. If you're still having issues, I would then boot up a linux live cd/usb and see if you have the same issue there. If you do have the same issue, I would carefully examine the jack on the laptop for a loose jack or bend wires in the jack.

Solution