[SOLVED] Irregular bsods occurences

Jul 10, 2020
Hi there,
So a few months ago I build my pc from a few new and a some second hand components.
From the start I noticed sporadic bsod with video scheduler errors. This could occur during games, youtube or sometimes even randomly on desktop.

The temperatures are fine and I also noticed that sometimes during boot that it stays rather long on the windows loading screen (with the circular spinning of the dots) and afterwards that it doesnt recognize the LAN anymore. I need to reset the network to make it work again.

Components:
Ryzen 1700 (second hand)
Seasonic core gold 500w (new)
gtx 1070ti (second hand)
asrock b450 pro4 mobo (new)
corsair 16gb 3000mhz (second hand)

What I tried till now is:
  • DDU, clean installation of graphics drivers
  • New drivers for the motherboard from the asrock website
  • Memtest for 3/4 hours
  • Reinstallation of windows, bsods sometimes occur less often but still do occur.
  • checked ssd and hdd health on crystaldisk
  • did sfc scannow
  • swapped the old gpu (gtx1070 also second hand) for the new one and the problem persisted.

I'm not sure whether there is more to do. I think it's a software thing rather than a hardware thing.

Thanks in advance

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pastebin.com/Tu6Da6F9

File information:071920-8156-01.dmp (Jul 19 2020 - 16:15:53)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR (119)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

File information:071920-8031-01.dmp (Jul 19 2020 - 16:19:21)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version 3.90 and the latest is 4.20. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't see that error often from Nvidia cards.

Try running ddu again but instead of grabbing the latest drivers from Nvidia, run windows update and let it grab a driver for it. See if it is any better, as I find the new Nvidia drivers aren't really for the 10 series anymore, and don't work much better with the 20 series.

You might want to flash bios backwards to version 3.50 if you can, as your Ryzen 1700 is a Summit Ridge and all BIOS versions after 3.50 say - ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

Jul 10, 2020
Alrighty, did the DDU again and left windows find its own drivers. I also flashed the bios to 3.50
Unfortunately, the problem persists including the irregular time to boot and the subsequent inability to recognize the LAN network.

I'm starting to believe it might be the mobo?

Jul 10, 2020
Also maybe something noteworthy.
Sometimes I see this "Critical" event in event viewer:

Event 10110,DriverFrameworks-UserMode
A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

And also:
The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 4 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

Maybe some useful information?

Colif

Win 11 Master
@gardenman there are a few dumps in zip you haven't checked.

try updating lan drivers - https://www.realtek.com/en/componen...0-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software
PC been running Network Diagnostics & something is bugging out Windows Driver Framework User Mode Driver Framework
all started in August it seems. NO wait, its been ongoing for a while.

What is this for?
Sep 02 2014 - usbaud64.sys - USB Audio Device driver (Conexant Systems, Inc.)

as its way too old for win 10.

or is that the headset as I can't see one listed?

Jul 10, 2020
What is this for?
Sep 02 2014 - usbaud64.sys - USB Audio Device driver (Conexant Systems, Inc.)

or is that the headset as I can't see one listed?

It is probably the headset. I have a turtle beach recon 320 headset connected by USB, which has its own driver for surround sound. I remember that the sound did bug out when I had that installed.

gardenman

Splendid
All 5 dumps are new to me. Results: https://pastebin.com/bwywBbtD
File information:080220-8234-01.dmp (Aug 2 2020 - 16:45:44)
Probably caused by:dxgmms2.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

File information:080220-8000-01.dmp (Aug 2 2020 - 16:07:48)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:080220-6984-01.dmp (Aug 2 2020 - 16:10:44)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:080120-7937-01.dmp (Aug 1 2020 - 16:28:30)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

File information:073120-8312-01.dmp (Jul 31 2020 - 08:46:50)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
gtx 1070ti (second hand)
swapped the old gpu (gtx1070 also second hand) for the new one and the problem persisted.

you know... can you test either of these in another PC or perhaps both cards, and see if you get errors there. As both are 2nd hand.

All 5 errors are repeats. 95% time I see dxgmms2.sys i can say its the GPU, other 5% is sound.. but when error is a Video Scheduler Internel Error, I can't blame audio.

All of the erros contain this line
watchdog!WdLogEvent5_WdCriticalError+0xe0
which if searched lead to Nvidia forums as its the Watchdog driver for Nvidia - for instance - and potential hardware problem.

The headset could be a red herring. Try unplugging it and see if it makes any difference.

Jul 10, 2020
Alright here's the deal: so I bought a new card (5700 XT) which seems to be doing fine, especially with the ethernet connection. Initially, I thought there was something wrong with the drivers as I was stuck on 60Hz refresh rate even though my monitor is 144hz capable.
Then I swapped the DP cable for a random HDMI cable I had lying around and then the refresh rate was significantly improved to 144hz again.

Maybe the DP cable is bad, so I was wondering whether it is possible for a bad DP cable to cause the Bsods of the past few months?

Jul 10, 2020
Alright. So my system still has not been very stable even after swapping the GPU and (clean) installing the drivers. I think there is nothing wrong the (former & current) GPUs as I've sold them and had no complaints about them.

It appears that no new dmp files have been created with each crash though, save for one yesterday: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JJRQVSbKVQhcsw3-fUM1zzLru0UC_v4s?usp=sharing
I saw that the dmp file contained a 116 video error.

I'm starting to look to other hardware issues than the GPU. I don't see much wrong in the crystaldiskinfo log (picture is inside the drive), but I was wondering whether this could be caused by a bad SSD (OS is installed on this one)? Or should I try to swap a memory kit?

Jul 10, 2020
Maybe an interesting occurence to note is that the screen quite frequently freezes, goes black for a split second and back again. Be it during normal desktop work or a more frequently during gaming.

Whenever I am in night mode, it switches back to normal screen (blue lighting), the setting is still on night mode though.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/Lfgq69cj/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:010421-9484-01.dmp (Jan 4 2021 - 12:44:23)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmpag.sys
Probably caused by:atikmpag.sys (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File information:071920-8156-01.dmp (Jul 19 2020 - 15:15:53)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

File information:071920-8031-01.dmp (Jul 19 2020 - 15:19:21)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
You know, your PC doesn't seem to care what GPU you put in, its going to reject the drivers. out of 3 above, 2 are Nvidia & one is AMD.

Which makes me wonder if its something else as you can't be this unlucky... i don't know what that something is as you don't have a bad PSU. I don't want to be blinded by the fact Seasonic rarely fail, but it is brand new. Only real way to test PSU is with a multi meter while you use PC. most other ways just look at what its like at idle.

it keeps blaming cards, but as I said, doesn't have a fav.

might be ram, I am not sure. I often find with ram errors that they don't just stick to one type of driver, they pick on everything.
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

lots of might's, it might be motherboard, it might be a really odd CPU bug.

Jul 10, 2020
I remember doing memtest86 a few months ago, but that took hours haha. I'm afraid I don't have enough time as uni is creeping up, so I'll just buy a new set of ram and hope for the best.

I'll keep you updated whether this helped or not. Thanks for the input.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't think its ram, I only suggested testing it as I have forgotten to suggest it in cases before where it was ram, so its more a confirmation.

Not sure I would buy more. Just see if you get many more BSOD, you don't appear to get that many.

Jul 10, 2020
Well the thing is that the BSODs don't occur but the screen just goes black and the pc reboots, afterwards there is often no dmp file generated as far as I know since I dont see any new files produced in event manager