[SOLVED] Irregular GeForce GT 710 temp?

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
I see a lot of people saying stuff like 80c at 80% load is normal. But mine tops out at 58c at 100% load and only 50% fan. Is this normal? If not then am I just lucky or something?

Solution
A GT 710 simply isn't going to generate as much heat as a GPU used for gaming or something. There's a reason that there are passively cooled GT 710s out there.
In my world that's not the norm...but that's not saying you have a problem.
Maybe you just have a great setup.
My three cards top at 82C with big cases and lots of fans.
GTX1060
GTX1080
RTX2080Ti
Maybe try a different temp reading app and see if you get something different.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
~19W TDP, and with a fan. That TDP includes the memory and VRM losses, so even less for the GPU. Going to stay quite cool indeed.

When your GPU has a PCIe power connector, then you are looking at a quite a bit of energy in a concentrated spot. That is when the heatsinks and fans grow larger, and memory cooling starts becoming more important as the board heats up.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No I was just confused
Although my I5-3470 gets to 65c a lot, which I'm pretty sure is awful

Again, a great temperature for a CPU, especially if it is a stock cooler. Means you have good case airflow.

A locked CPU is pretty regulated, 77W TDP, you are probably not 100% taxing the CPU at any point, and the cooler can keep up.

You are right that a good rule of thumb for electronics is 80C. Intel rates their CPUs up to 100C, but you don't want to run that hot all the time. Most GPUs have similar absolute maximums.

Maxwell, Pascal, Turing and Ampere do tend to have the 83C throttle point. They do that for noise reduction. They'll run hotter if you tell them to, but start dropping boost bins.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Again, a great temperature for a CPU, especially if it is a stock cooler. Means you have good case airflow.

A locked CPU is pretty regulated, 77W TDP, you are probably not 100% taxing the CPU at any point, and the cooler can keep up.

You are right that a good rule of thumb for electronics is 80C. Intel rates their CPUs up to 100C, but you don't want to run that hot all the time. Most GPUs have similar absolute maximums.

Maxwell, Pascal, Turing and Ampere do tend to have the 83C throttle point. They do that for noise reduction. They'll run hotter if you tell them to, but start dropping boost bins.
A general rule of thumb I have.
"If this hardware change is gonna shorten its lifespan, don't do it"
That's why I haven't overclocked a thing in my life

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A general rule of thumb I have.
"If this hardware change is gonna shorten its lifespan, don't do it"
That's why I haven't overclocked a thing in my life
Define lifespan.?
There's 2 types, physical and usable. Almost everyone is subject to Usable a long time before Physical ever shows up. I recently sold my Genuine Intel Pentium II 350MHz pc (overclocked to 400MHz since day #1) that's over 20 years old, still on the original Asus P2B D440 BX motherboard. It's using Windows 98SE. Seriously out of date nostalgia piece, but hey it worked.

Turbo or boost on a cpu is a factory OC. I'm sure you don't run your cpu at base clocks, which are factory specs.

And what about cards like the FTW or Gaming X OC series with a factory applied OC?
Or even XMP on ram, that's an OC, factory specs state all DDR4 is 2133MHz.

You OC all the time, even with little things like GPU Boost.

You just don't realize it's being done.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Define lifespan.?
There's 2 types, physical and usable. Almost everyone is subject to Usable a long time before Physical ever shows up. I recently sold my Genuine Intel Pentium II 350MHz pc (overclocked to 400MHz since day #1) that's over 20 years old, still on the original Asus P2B D440 BX motherboard. It's using Windows 98SE. Seriously out of date nostalgia piece, but hey it worked.

Turbo or boost on a cpu is a factory OC. I'm sure you don't run your cpu at base clocks, which are factory specs.

And what about cards like the FTW or Gaming X OC series with a factory applied OC?
Or even XMP on ram, that's an OC, factory specs state all DDR4 is 2133MHz.

You OC all the time, even with little things like GPU Boost.

You just don't realize it's being done.
Physical
I don't give a crap about it going obsolete as long as I can run Firefox, Discord, and KSP on minimum graphics. And sometimes OBS.

And that's all I really need out of a computer.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ah. So not physical. That's Usable. In the not too distant future, software will update. It'll use different instructions, have different use for cores, have different requirements for core speeds, ram sizes etc.

So what you'll find is that overnight, your Discord is useless, OS is useless etc. It'll be like the day Microsoft released Windows95 and every BBS in use was now rendered obsolete by Internet Explorer, AOL and Messenger.

Your software requirements will render your pc obsolete long before it physically fails. Usually.