Irritating Sound then Lock-up

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer (More info?)

I've cross posted this thread since all these items could
potentially be the problem. When I'm playing a game (NHL 2004) or run
Media Player, I get an irritating howl/whine sound, lose control of the
game controller or mouse, and then after 10 seconds, the computer will
lock up. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes 30, sometimes
everything works w/o problem.

ASUS A7V-E
AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
ATI Radeon 7200 (Catalyst 4.6)
SB Live 5.1 Platinum
WinXp Professional SP1
Media Player 9

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:00:53 -0400, Theo Weber <t-bweber@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> I've cross posted this thread since all these items could
>potentially be the problem. When I'm playing a game (NHL 2004) or run
>Media Player, I get an irritating howl/whine sound, lose control of the
>game controller or mouse, and then after 10 seconds, the computer will
>lock up. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes 30, sometimes
>everything works w/o problem.
>
>ASUS A7V-E
>AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
>ATI Radeon 7200 (Catalyst 4.6)
>SB Live 5.1 Platinum
>WinXp Professional SP1
>Media Player 9

I have had that happenh recently in a few games, but not all. Only
commonality I see here is the ATI drivers.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer (More info?)

Patch fixes for the sound card and games...Maybe video card too.

"Theo Weber" <t-bweber@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> I've cross posted this thread since all these items could
> potentially be the problem. When I'm playing a game (NHL 2004) or run
> Media Player, I get an irritating howl/whine sound, lose control of the
> game controller or mouse, and then after 10 seconds, the computer will
> lock up. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes 30, sometimes
> everything works w/o problem.
>
> ASUS A7V-E
> AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
> ATI Radeon 7200 (Catalyst 4.6)
> SB Live 5.1 Platinum
> WinXp Professional SP1
> Media Player 9

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer (More info?)

I have an ATI Radeon 9700 and it did the same thing because SMART GART did
not work with my chipset.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:08:33 -0700, Diskhead <disk@head.invalid>
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:00:53 -0400, Theo Weber <t-bweber@sympatico.ca>
>wrote:
>
>> I've cross posted this thread since all these items could
>>potentially be the problem. When I'm playing a game (NHL 2004) or run
>>Media Player, I get an irritating howl/whine sound, lose control of the
>>game controller or mouse, and then after 10 seconds, the computer will
>>lock up. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes 30, sometimes
>>everything works w/o problem.
>>
>>ASUS A7V-E
>>AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
>>ATI Radeon 7200 (Catalyst 4.6)
>>SB Live 5.1 Platinum
>>WinXp Professional SP1
>>Media Player 9
>
>I have had that happenh recently in a few games, but not all. Only
>commonality I see here is the ATI drivers.

Well, considering the OP is the only person to quote any system
details at all to the point you posted in this thread, Diskhead,
everything he's quoted is the only commonality.

However, I notice the OP has also mentioned an ASUS A7V-E mobo, which
AFAIK has a VIA chipset. Could just as well be the PCI Latency
problem as anything else.

Theo, have you tried George Breese's PCI Latency patch? You can get
it from http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/.

patrickp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer (More info?)

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:49:13 -0500, "Mostro"
<oveloz@glas**flossnospam.com> wrote:

>I have an ATI Radeon 9700 and it did the same thing because SMART GART did
>not work with my chipset.
>

>"Theo Weber" <t-bweber@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> I've cross posted this thread since all these items could
>> potentially be the problem. When I'm playing a game (NHL 2004) or run
>> Media Player, I get an irritating howl/whine sound, lose control of the
>> game controller or mouse, and then after 10 seconds, the computer will
>> lock up. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes 30, sometimes
>> everything works w/o problem.
>>
>> ASUS A7V-E
>> AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
>> ATI Radeon 7200 (Catalyst 4.6)
>> SB Live 5.1 Platinum
>> WinXp Professional SP1
>> Media Player 9

What chipset was that, Mostro? And have you installed the drivers for
that chipset and enabled AGP appropriately in your BIOS?

patrickp

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 06:48:48 -0400, Theo Weber <t-bweber@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Installed the patch a few days ago and everything seems to be
>working fine now. NHL 2004 is running like it did in Win98 and
>MediaPlayer doesn't stall anymore. Amazing what a little 17 kB patch
>will do! Guess I was using the wrong terms on the search engine to find
>it. Will advise if problems crop up again. Cheers
>
>patrickp wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:08:33 -0700, Diskhead <disk@head.invalid>
>>wrote:

>>>I have had that happenh recently in a few games, but not all. Only
>>>commonality I see here is the ATI drivers.
>>>

>>Well, considering the OP is the only person to quote any system
>>details at all to the point you posted in this thread, Diskhead,
>>everything he's quoted is the only commonality.
>>
>>However, I notice the OP has also mentioned an ASUS A7V-E mobo, which
>>AFAIK has a VIA chipset. Could just as well be the PCI Latency
>>problem as anything else.
>>
>>Theo, have you tried George Breese's PCI Latency patch? You can get
>>it from http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/.
>>
>>patrickp
>>
>>patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

You're welcome, Theo. It can be a difficult one to troubleshoot if
you don't specifically know about the PCI Latency problem, and it's
obvious if you do - you just look wise (gosh, I do that good!) and say
"aHA! VIA chipset, eh?"

The trouble is that the symptoms are so general: crackling soundcards,
hard drive lockups, DVD crashes - basically, anything that's affected
by data transfers on the PCI bus...

patrickp

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer (More info?)

I have the 8INXP, with Intel 7205 and a 9700 AIW card, and yes, I am always
on the lookout for the latest drivers
"patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:49:13 -0500, "Mostro"
> <oveloz@glas**flossnospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I have an ATI Radeon 9700 and it did the same thing because SMART GART
did
> >not work with my chipset.
> >

> >"Theo Weber" <t-bweber@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> >> I've cross posted this thread since all these items could
> >> potentially be the problem. When I'm playing a game (NHL 2004) or run
> >> Media Player, I get an irritating howl/whine sound, lose control of the
> >> game controller or mouse, and then after 10 seconds, the computer will
> >> lock up. Sometimes it takes a few minutes, sometimes 30, sometimes
> >> everything works w/o problem.
> >>
> >> ASUS A7V-E
> >> AMD Duron 1.3 GHz
> >> ATI Radeon 7200 (Catalyst 4.6)
> >> SB Live 5.1 Platinum
> >> WinXp Professional SP1
> >> Media Player 9
> >

> What chipset was that, Mostro? And have you installed the drivers for
> that chipset and enabled AGP appropriately in your BIOS?
>
> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Malke

Mostro wrote:

> I have the 8INXP, with Intel 7205 and a 9700 AIW card, and yes, I am
> always on the lookout for the latest drivers
> "patrickp" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 13:49:13 -0500, "Mostro"
>> <oveloz@glas**flossnospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have an ATI Radeon 9700 and it did the same thing because SMART
>> >GART didnot work with my chipset.

>> >"Theo Weber" <t-bweber@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Open the computer and run it open, observing all fans carefully. It
sounds like a fan isn't working properly and the computer is
overheating. I'd suspect the video card fan first.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.soundcard.sblive,microsoft.public.multimedia.windows.mediaplayer (More info?)

I've had this problem before with the live 5.1. Try moving it to another PCI
slot. Worked for me.