Question Is 1,120mm of radiator cooling + 16 high static pressure fans overkill for 1 CPU cooling? (Future proofing CPU cooling with 32+ cores)

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Hello all,

Is 1,120mm of radiator cooling + 16 high static pressure fans overkill for 1 CPU cooling? (Future proofing CPU cooling with 32+ cores)

I currently have this PC super tower case which can support 2 x 560mm radiators (1120mm total):
https://www.newegg.com/white-thermaltake-the-tower-900-snow-edition-atx-full-tower/p/N82E16811133327

My current Liquid Cooler is this (it is only 360mm):
https://www.newegg.com/enermax-liqtech-ii-360-white-liquid-cooling-system/p/N82E16835214096?Description=enermax 360&cm_re=enermax_360--35-214-096--Product

My idea is to buy 2 really thick 560mm radiators and connect them together so it would be considered 1120mm of radiator cooling along with 1 water pump and put 4 high static pressure fans on each side (so it would be push/pull configuration), total of 16 fans. All this connected to 1 waterblock for my CPU. I don't want to mess with my expensive GPUs with this custom water loop in case I mess up.

By doing this, will I get less than 20'C temps on my 9900k with a 1120mm custom water loop? Also, I might get a hotter CPU in the future when technology advances so like a CPU with 10,20, 32+ cores. Will this 1120mm water cooling setup future proof all those hot cores?

Can anyone recommend me the biggest/thickest 560mm radiator? (Because some 560mm radiators are thicker than others) Currently, I am looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Pacific-Cooling-Radiator-CL-W055-AL00BL/dp/B00ZOP6Y2E

Are Copper or Aluminium radiators better for the long term?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
I would suggest at least 2 pumps of the same brand and model to push the fluid across all that radiator space+the bends you're going to have for that loop + the GPU's in the future.

In all honesty you should read through the watercooling sticky pertaining to the question about the temperature drop/delta. You're better off just dealing with a dual 360mm radiator setup and call it a day with one or two D5 pumps. for a CPU only loop - which is still overkill.

The fact is that the Intel made a mess when designing the i9-9900k, similar to what AMD did with their 8000 and 9000 series of processors.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
I would suggest at least 2 pumps of the same brand and model to push the fluid across all that radiator space+the bends you're going to have for that loop + the GPU's in the future.

In all honesty you should read through the watercooling sticky pertaining to the question about the temperature drop/delta. You're better off just dealing with a dual 360mm radiator setup and call it a day with one or two D5 pumps. for a CPU only loop - which is still overkill.

The fact is that the Intel made a mess when designing the i9-9900k, similar to what AMD did with their 8000 and 9000 series of processors.
I think a dual 560mm is better than dual 360mm because it would bring much lower temps.

You will more than likely never get that cpu to near 20c under load, no matter how much radiator you have. 20c is cooler than ambient in most cases, with 21ish being average. You'll not cool it to ambient temps.

So yes, imo, complete overkill and a large waste of money. I'm sure it would look awesome! But there is definitely a point of diminishing returns, and this setup would far surpass that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You cannot cool a cpu lower than ambient temps by mechanical means. You'd need chemical means such as LN2 or phase change to do so.

Temps are also not derived from a linear scale. It's not like you get 50°C with a 240mm, therefore with a 480 you get 25°C. It's a partial bell curve in reality, so at some point you'll cross the line of diminishing returns. It'd be closer to say a i7-7700k gets 90° with a 120mm, 70° with a 240mm, 65° with a 280mm and 63° with a 360mm. Even throwing in 1120mm might get you 63°C.

It has to do with the fact that the rads are not cooling the cpu. At all. They don't even cool the coolant to any high degree. What they do do is dissipate the excess energy stored in the coolant, picked up from the cpu/gpu. The coolant itself is only a few °C above case ambient temps until enough over abundant wattage from the cpu/gpu starts to soak the coolant. So mostly the coolant will be @ 6-10°C higher than room temps. And the cpu slightly hotter than that.