Question Is 1.43v safe for an i5 9600k?

Tayfow805

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
I recently overclocked my i5 9600k to 5.0ghz with 1.43v. I've heard some people say thats too high of voltage for this cpu but others say its okay. I've ran it several times in cinebench at 100% load on all cores and the peak temp on all stress tests was 70 degrees Celsius. Its hasnt crashed at all and plays all my games flawlessly. Also the cpu is only 2 months old. I just want to hear other people's opinions on this.

I literally just answered this question yesterday, as did my fellow moderator and author of the Intel temperature guide Computronix.

I would not recommend using over 1.4v for any 8th or 9th gen Intel processor, although Silicon lottery says they are safe up to 1.45v. Likely, that is more appropriate for CPUs that have been delidded, since that is primarily what Silicon Lottery does is sell delidded CPUs, golden samples and offer delid services. 1.43v is not terribly extreme, by comparison, but if you expect this CPU to last three years or more I would not use more than 1.4v.

I see a lot of people getting stable results on the 9700k at lower voltages than you are using, by a fair measure, so it should be possible although you WILL want to do the testing to verify stability at whatever you settle on.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Tayfow805

Prominent
Oct 13, 2019
I literally just answered this question yesterday, as did my fellow moderator and author of the Intel temperature guide Computronix.

I would not recommend using over 1.4v for any 8th or 9th gen Intel processor, although Silicon lottery says they are safe up to 1.45v. Likely, that is more appropriate for CPUs that have been delidded, since that is primarily what Silicon Lottery does is sell delidded CPUs, golden samples and offer delid services. 1.43v is not terribly extreme, by comparison, but if you expect this CPU to last three years or more I would not use more than 1.4v.

I see a lot of people getting stable results on the 9700k at lower voltages than you are using, by a fair measure, so it should be possible although you WILL want to do the testing to verify stability at whatever you settle on.
I got the core voltage down to 1.40v and its still stable. My temps also dropped about 5 degrees Celsius across each core. Thank you for the advice.

I recently overclocked my i5 9600k to 5.0ghz with 1.43v. I've heard some people say thats too high of voltage for this cpu but others say its okay. I've ran it several times in cinebench at 100% load on all cores and the peak temp on all stress tests was 70 degrees Celsius. Its hasnt crashed at all and plays all my games flawlessly. Also the cpu is only 2 months old. I just want to hear other people's opinions on this.

The problem here, is that you are not stressing testing your CPU properly.

Running Cinebench, is not an indication of where your max temps are at! You should run Prime95 small ffts to find out what your max temp is at a given voltage. I suspect your temps will shoot up to the high 80's and may possibly throttle your CPU.

It's all well and good dialling in 5ghz with high voltage, but I suspect you will have issues, unless you properly test for stability.

Here is a guide to check out: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/

Actually it's created by Darkbreeze :) It's a great guide, and will give you exactly what you need to do to get a proper stable OC, with repeatable results.