[SOLVED] Is 1.4V safe for my Ryzen 3 3200G?

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
So I recently bought and built my PC and wanted to overclock it, I heard that 4 Ghz was pretty easily achievable on the CPU but for me it wasnt all too stable so i set it to 3.95 Ghz on auto voltage and it seems to work perfectly fine, checking HW Monitor says it's using about 1.4V, more precisely 1.38V - 1.39V, and I've OC'ed the iGPU aswell to 1725 Mhz on 1.375V and it seems to work perfectly fine, but I'm worried about the long term affects this may cause on the PC, in the future I plan to upgrade to a 3600 and 1070 Ti, but for now, this is what I've got.

Also, I'm having an issue with AMD supporting my ram, Its not on the QVL list but the kit is Viper Steel 16 GB 3200Mhz CL16 and I can't seem to get it above 2733Mhz without the PC reseting the OC's due to a failed post.

For those who are interested, my PC specs are these:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G
Motherboard: AsRock B450M Pro4
RAM: Viper Steel 16GB 3200Mhz CL16 (2 x 8GB)
Storage: 1: 320GB 7200RPM HDD from seagate
2: 120GB SATA 3 SSD from sandisk
Case: Cougar MX-330 (was a bitch to cable manage)
PSU: Corsair TXM 550W

Merged from subsequent, consecutive posts:

I just reset my OC to stock apart from RAM because i was having issues where in games it would stutter, freeze, crash and BSOD All the time, after i did that i took a look at HW Monitor and CPU Z, and they both were reporting that when my CPU boosts itself to 4 Ghz (Doing literally nothing) it goes to 1.51V on core voltage, am i reading this right?

Today as I booted up, it instantly threw me a BSOD of KMode_exeption_not_handled, after that it booted up fine, but i'm beginning to think that I should reinstall windows 10 as this copy of it was just taken from my old laptop and plopped in to this one.

I overclocked my GPU to 1650 Mhz at 1.368V, although its stable under furmark, while looking at GPU Z i saw that it spiked to 1.55V, and while i set the CPU on auto voltage, when it boosts itself to 4 Ghz it reaches 1.557V, are theses the correct readings for a Ryzen 3 3200G cause i really am concerned on not only the longevity of the APU, but also the thermals as im using a stock AMD cooler, under furmark it reaches 70C - 74C.

Ok, so, for starters, I had the RAM in the wrong order ( A1 B1 instead of A2 B2 ), and that's what caused all of the overclocking problems, hell, I turned XMP 2.0 Profile 1 and it booted fine at 3200Mhz 1.35V, I can OC the CPU clocks even higher ( to 4.1 Ghz all cores @1.412V) and the GPU reallys doesn't like going to 1700Mhz or else it starts showing massive artifacts even while on the desktop, so I set it to 1675 Mhz and it works fine in stress test and games. Temps occasionally reach 50C but not much more with a Wraith Prism cooler.

NaufalR9708

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
Hi, just want you to know, i overclocked my 3200g to 4ghz 1.35v, and gpu to 1.7ghz 1.2v with ryzen master. I use it for daily use and it is perfect, i never get any crash or error.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Hi, just want you to know, i overclocked my 3200g to 4ghz 1.35v, and gpu to 1.7ghz 1.2v with ryzen master. I use it for daily use and it is perfect, i never get any crash or error.
Well then you are really lucky, cause I couldn't really push my silicon any harder and my GPU is at most able to be overclocked to 1630 MHz or else I get massive artifacting in games and even on the desktop because even with a Wraith Prism cooler my CPU runs up to 75 degrees under GPU and CPU load using Furmark and CPU-Z. I also quit on OC'ing the CPU because AMD's PBO is good enough.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Well then you are really lucky, cause I couldn't really push my silicon any harder and my GPU is at most able to be overclocked to 1630 MHz or else I get massive artifacting in games and even on the desktop because even with a Wraith Prism cooler my CPU runs up to 75 degrees under GPU and CPU load using Furmark and CPU-Z. I also quit on OC'ing the CPU because AMD's PBO is good enough.

There's nowhere that you mention what GPU you have. It seems like the only component you don't have listed. This, and any suggestions around it, are going to be 100% specific to whatever GPU you have.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
There's nowhere that you mention what GPU you have. It seems like the only component you don't have listed. This, and any suggestions around it, are going to be 100% specific to whatever GPU you have.
I mean, the 3200G IS an APU dude, I'm using the onboard GPU of the APU, Vega 8 graphics.

So I recently bought and built my PC and wanted to overclock it, I heard that 4 Ghz was pretty easily achievable on the CPU but for me it wasnt all too stable so i set it to 3.95 Ghz on auto voltage and it seems to work perfectly fine, checking HW Monitor says it's using about 1.4V, more precisely 1.38V - 1.39V, and I've OC'ed the iGPU aswell to 1725 Mhz on 1.375V and it seems to work perfectly fine, but I'm worried about the long term affects this may cause on the PC, in the future I plan to upgrade to a 3600 and 1070 Ti, but for now, this is what I've got.

Also, I'm having an issue with AMD supporting my ram, Its not on the QVL list but the kit is Viper Steel 16 GB 3200Mhz CL16 and I can't seem to get it above 2733Mhz without the PC reseting the OC's due to a failed post.

For those who are interested, my PC specs are these:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G
Motherboard: AsRock B450M Pro4
RAM: Viper Steel 16GB 3200Mhz CL16 (2 x 8GB)
Storage: 1: 320GB 7200RPM HDD from seagate
2: 120GB SATA 3 SSD from sandisk
Case: Cougar MX-330 (was a bitch to cable manage)
PSU: Corsair TXM 550W

Merged from subsequent, consecutive posts:

I just reset my OC to stock apart from RAM because i was having issues where in games it would stutter, freeze, crash and BSOD All the time, after i did that i took a look at HW Monitor and CPU Z, and they both were reporting that when my CPU boosts itself to 4 Ghz (Doing literally nothing) it goes to 1.51V on core voltage, am i reading this right?

Today as I booted up, it instantly threw me a BSOD of KMode_exeption_not_handled, after that it booted up fine, but i'm beginning to think that I should reinstall windows 10 as this copy of it was just taken from my old laptop and plopped in to this one.

I overclocked my GPU to 1650 Mhz at 1.368V, although its stable under furmark, while looking at GPU Z i saw that it spiked to 1.55V, and while i set the CPU on auto voltage, when it boosts itself to 4 Ghz it reaches 1.557V, are theses the correct readings for a Ryzen 3 3200G cause i really am concerned on not only the longevity of the APU, but also the thermals as im using a stock AMD cooler, under furmark it reaches 70C - 74C.

Ok, so, for starters, I had the RAM in the wrong order ( A1 B1 instead of A2 B2 ), and that's what caused all of the overclocking problems, hell, I turned XMP 2.0 Profile 1 and it booted fine at 3200Mhz 1.35V, I can OC the CPU clocks even higher ( to 4.1 Ghz all cores @1.412V) and the GPU reallys doesn't like going to 1700Mhz or else it starts showing massive artifacts even while on the desktop, so I set it to 1675 Mhz and it works fine in stress test and games. Temps occasionally reach 50C but not much more with a Wraith Prism cooler.

1.4V should be the upper limit.

You need to understand there's a base voltage and a load line voltage. As the CPU comes under load, it demands more voltage. It's that load line voltage you want to keep an eye on. As a rule of thumb stay below 85C, but 80C is better. If you can do that and maintain below a 1.4V you should be okay.

As to your memory timing issue, max speed usually depends on a couple factors. As you noted, make sure you have the proper banks populated first. It's written in the manual which ones should be filled first.

The 3200g is still based on Zen+, (12nm) and it's memory overclock is questionable above 2666MHz. That said, I can get 3200MHz CL16 on an ITX motherboard with my 2400g. (ITX boards are easier to memory overclock). On my B450m Steel Legend I could only get 2833MHz with all 4 banks populated on 3000MHz CL16 memory @1.35V memory. If I stepped down to 2 DIMMs, I could hit that 3000MHz no problem.

Reactions: eternalabys