Is 10 Gb/s enough transfor speed for the Samsung 950 PRO M.2 to perform its full potential?

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014
The link to it below and is also the motherboard i own right now. Its max transfer speed is 10 Gb/s which i have no idea what that means but i have a hunch it means how fast the motherboard can understand what the Storage device is telling it to do but i was wondering if 10 Gb/s woul bottleneck the Samsung 950 PRO and make it run slow and not be able to perform its max. If i am wrong i am sorry because when it comes to this kinda stuff i have no idea so i hope someone can help, thanks! :)

Oh and also

If i do need a better motherboard i saw some motherboards that support 32Gb/s on their M.2 slot but i will not buy a whole new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM just to allow the Samsung 950 PRO to perform its max lol. I will in the somewhat far future be buying a new Motherboard, CPU, and RAM but that is a loooong ways off lol.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4997#ov

Solution
It won't perform at its max, but honestly it'll still be faster than SATA SSD drives. I say go for it.
It has a 10 year warranty or something like that. You can reuse it in your next build.

Kurz

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
It won't perform at its max, but honestly it'll still be faster than SATA SSD drives. I say go for it.
It has a 10 year warranty or something like that. You can reuse it in your next build.

Solution

Ferrariassassin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2014

Ok thanks and i will. Would a 32GB/s motherboard allow it to run its max speed?

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Yeah ya need a gen 3 x4 m.2 slot for full speed of the Samsung nvme drives will still work on gen 2 x2 m.2 . I'm getting 700 to 800 read and write on my asrock 999 fx extreme 6 . Only thing ya got to worry about is flash your bios to add nvme support if the board doesn't already.
That and nvme only supports full uefi boot so turn of csm legacy support your stuck with gpt partitions for the drive with is fine uefi boosts faster anyhow.

PlymouthJoseph

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2014

Well, I've got a Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 with a Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 , 4x4GB 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM and a EVGA GTX 960 SSC ACX2.0+ (Soon to be a EVGA GTX 1060 SSC ACX 3.0). So it's not like it is a old spec PC so I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't support them. I've also decided to buy a M.2 to PCIe adapter since now the GTX 1060 doesn't support SLI.

Only thing is, would it sill be worth getting a 950 Pro (Although now I am going to be getting a SM961) knowing that it will be running on a 10GB/s M.2 port for about 6 months? Also, would it be possible just to simply take the SSD out of the M.2 port and plug it straight into the M.2 adapter and have it run at fill speed without having to change any settings?

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

yeah the the 950 pro and the 961 same they nvme ssd drives . though the 961 and other diver that just came out are just oem and hard to get right now where supposed to be available to regular consumer sometime in july or later this year from what I read .

and yes it would work in m.2 pci express adapter to get full speed but then it might not depending on how many pcie express lanes and video cards ya got it might not run at full speed then or could actual knock down your vid cards from x16 mode to x8 or even x4 if was running at x8 .
but that on in cases where your board and cpu don't have enough pci expres lanes.

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015

you can run ito support problem if you board didn't release with a bios version that supports nvme what I said earlier .
onvee ya flash the bios to newer version that adds nvme your fine.

and in the case that nvme only supports uefi instals of the os nvme ssds only support gpt partitions .