[SOLVED] Is 100 Degrees celcius ok for Gaming with i7 10700 and msi z790?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

x1alpha1

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I have a i7-10700 with an MSI z490 motherboard with stock cooler.

Ideal temps are about 62 degrees,
The very second I start a game it shoots up to 100 degrees.

Games: Modern Warfare Warzone, CS, Dota.

Also, The dragon center App shows the CPU frequency at 4600 always.
I read some articles that suugget I modify some setting in my BIOS, but I am not sure which one to change or how to change it.

Solution
No, it's not. Anything above 80°C is undesirable. Anything above 85°C is getting into "ah crap" territory. At 100 degrees, you are well into "why isn't this throttling or shutting down by now".

First, make sure we're talking about Celcius and that whatever you are using to monitor temps isn't telling you in Fahrenheit instead.

I would make sure that your stock cooler is actually fully seated. Did you just build this?

I'd recommend resetting the BIOS to the default settings and NOT enabling multi-core enhancement. Just go into the BIOS and load the option for default, optimal default or setup default settings, on the save/exit tab, and then go back and reconfigure any custom settings like fan profiles, boot order, etc.
Speed shift is not the new speed step. They are different, and most boards have BOTH settings available. I have not had any success with Speed shift. No system I have worked on has properly run at a variable core frequency, static only, with Speed shift enabled. I don't really understand how this hasn't been brought up in reviews, but to me, it doesn't work.

I have had to disable Intel speed shift and make sure that Intel speed step is left ENABLED, in order to have a ranging core frequency on every board from Z170 to Z370 I've worked on so far.

I have had to disable Intel speed shift and make sure that Intel speed step is left ENABLED, in order to have a ranging core frequency on every board from Z170 to Z370 I've worked on so far.
Well he can try all of them and see what helps.
Another strategy would be to disable everything from bios so that the CPU is running only stock and then use intel extreme tuning utility to only add profiles for software that will actually benefit from boosting.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Well he can try all of them and see what helps.
Another strategy would be to disable everything from bios so that the CPU is running only stock and then use intel extreme tuning utility to only add profiles for software that will actually benefit from boosting.
If you look at the OCCT pick it was actually going down to 800 he probably did not leave it running long enough to get more cores down it takes mine a few minutes to get to 800 then you get a few core spikes back to turbo speed as normal.

x1alpha1

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Well he has a long duration power limit of 4000W + he could leave it running for a really long time without hitting that.

I set it back to box cooler mode as those are the intel recommended setting.

I think it must be a Windows service that is forcing the frequency to spike.

If the temps are at 45 and the frequency is at 4600 in Idle state would it cause an issue with my sytem like redcuce its life expectancy?

Idle state, temp, frequency, these are irrelevant considerations UNLESS there is a problem at the other end of the spectrum with the maximum temperatures or stability.

It doesn't make the least bit of difference if your CPU idles at 70°C as long as it's maximum full load steady state thermal response is within the maximum recommended value of 80°C preferred and 85° at the absolute most under the most demanding of thermal compliance test regiments, while not running any AVX instruction sets.

The only way your life expectancy is going to be shortened is if you are running the CPU continuously and regularly above 80°C, and really it would even be fine up to 85°C but I don't recommend it, or at voltages higher than 1.4v for 5th through 10th gen Intel platforms. Or, obviously, if you physically damage it by bending some pins, or short something out.

So, unless you are running your CPU at higher than 1.4v vcore or are idling at 85°C, or exceeding that temperature under a load, then no, it's not going to adversely affect the lifespan of the CPU.

100C is t junction max temp for the 10700. So you are without a doubt throttling.

Try to reseat the cooler. But to be honest intel always made crap stock coolers. You really need a cooler designed for 150w with good case airflow

I see a lot of intel 10 series chips overheating lately. I can only assume people have poor airflow cases or trying to cool it with something like a hyper 212.

I wonder what intel is going to do with all the warranty claims if people continue to run at these temps

100C is t junction max temp for the 10700. So you are without a doubt throttling.

Try to reseat the cooler. But to be honest intel always made crap stock coolers. You really need a cooler designed for 150w with good case airflow

I see a lot of intel 10 series chips overheating lately. I can only assume people have poor airflow cases or trying to cool it with something like a hyper 212.

I wonder what intel is going to do with all the warranty claims if people continue to run at these temps
He (his mobo) is running his CPU at above max turbo all the time, he is not throttling he is running all core turbo of 4.6 which is not supposed to happen,
but he (his mobo) is maxing out the heat limit which is not desirable.

The 10700 is a 65w CPU that should only hit 224W for 28 seconds and only if the CPU was cool before that so it will not go much above the 65W cooling limit.

All the warranty claims are belong to mobo...
And the same thing happens to ryzen, a lot of mobos just pump way too much power into the CPUs.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

x1alpha1

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Idle state, temp, frequency, these are irrelevant considerations UNLESS there is a problem at the other end of the spectrum with the maximum temperatures or stability.

It doesn't make the least bit of difference if your CPU idles at 70°C as long as it's maximum full load steady state thermal response is within the maximum recommended value of 80°C preferred and 85° at the absolute most under the most demanding of thermal compliance test regiments, while not running any AVX instruction sets.

The only way your life expectancy is going to be shortened is if you are running the CPU continuously and regularly above 80°C, and really it would even be fine up to 85°C but I don't recommend it, or at voltages higher than 1.4v for 5th through 10th gen Intel platforms. Or, obviously, if you physically damage it by bending some pins, or short something out.

So, unless you are running your CPU at higher than 1.4v vcore or are idling at 85°C, or exceeding that temperature under a load, then no, it's not going to adversely affect the lifespan of the CPU.

ok understood, Thanks for your response,

x1alpha1

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I reset my windows now in Ideal state is stays at around 800 - 1000, I think it may have been some rouge windows service that kept the frequency maxed out.

Thanks for helping out guys, learned a lot about power states and monitoring performance.

He (his mobo) is running his CPU at above max turbo all the time, he is not throttling he is running all core turbo of 4.6 which is not supposed to happen,
but he (his mobo) is maxing out the heat limit which is not desirable.

The 10700 is a 65w CPU that should only hit 224W for 28 seconds and only if the CPU was cool before that so it will not go much above the 65W cooling limit.

All the warranty claims are belong to mobo...
And the same thing happens to ryzen, a lot of mobos just pump way too much power into the CPUs.

Missed that part. Thanks. Yep his MB needs to back off.

That is one of the problems I have seen with Speed shift, on some boards, this lack of variable clock rate that should normally be seen. In every case, leaving Speed step enabled and disabling Speed shift, along with having the correct power plan enabled in the windows power plan options with a minimum processor power state of 8% as well as the C-states enabled in the BIOS has resolved it. If that doesn't resolve it, then there is either a different configuration problem in the BIOS or you have a faulty board, in pretty much any case.

TRENDING THREADS