Question Is 100% gpu utilization during gaming bad?

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
I hope this isn’t a dumb question. My main game is destiny 2 and I play @1440p with a 3060ti ftw (not overclocked.

I would like to try and play the game at 120 or maybe even 144fps but I always get worried about my gpu going above 90% utilization for a long period of time. I say try because the fps never seems stable no matter what I do… I can hit good fps but it’s never stable in game.

some days I only play 2-3 hours total but some days I play 5-6 straight in one session. The highest temps I’ve ever seen for my gpu is 65c @ 110 fps because it was an extremely hot day.

is 100% for a considerable amount of time straight a bad thing or should I just stop worrying? I’d like to keep this card for another 2-3 years.

tyvm

jeremy0118

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2016
No it's not bad at all. Stop worrying. GPU's are made to run at 100% . only the temps are something to beware off, in your case 65c is very low. in the 85 range is where you should get abit concerned.

When you for example buy an used mining card often these are pushed to the max, arent looked after properly and dont have their thermal paste changed ever. that is the main reason to be cautious with used mining cards, not because they ran at 100% ive seen diodes discolored around the edges from excessive heat, these are far more likely to die sooner. in your case thats a non issue.

The recommended card in destiny 2 seems to be a 1060 at 1080p. Concidering you run at 1440 and you most likely don't have all settings turned to low, it makes sense that it runs close to 100%. Can you list your full system specs? Perhaps i can give some insight as to why your game runs unstable then.

Last edited:

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
No it's not bad at all. Stop worrying. GPU's are made to run at 100% . only the temps are something to beware off, in your case 65c is very low. in the 85 range is where you should get abit concerned.

When you for example buy an used mining card often these are pushed to the max, arent looked after properly and dont have their thermal paste changed ever. that is the main reason to be cautious with used mining cards, not because they ran at 100% ive seen diodes discolored around the edges from excessive heat, these are far more likely to die sooner. in your case thats a non issue.

The recommended card in destiny 2 seems to be a 1060 at 1080p. Concidering you run at 1440 and you most likely don't have all settings turned to low, it makes sense that it runs close to 100%. Can you list your full system specs? Perhaps i can give some insight as to why your game runs unstable then.
Everyone on pc complains about the game having unstable fps. I see people with 3080s go from 119 to 132 to 150 etc. The game is just poorly optimized.

most of my settings are medium just because it’s easier on my eyes (I have weird eye conditions going on in both)

I know what you mean about mining gpus. My 3060ti was straight from evga and not used. I just worry about wear/tear quickly etc. had a bad experience once with a 1070 years ago.

9900kf
Z390 Aorus pro
Corsair lpx memory runing at 3000mhz
850w rmx good psu
3060ti ftw

nothing oc except for the ram if you consider xmp oc (I guess by all technical means it is)
I’ve tried didn’t drivers, tons of settings etc. destiny on pc is just never stable.

Well I mean, its not really poorly optimized if there are things going on screen and the fps is jumping around, 119, 132 to 150 is not a sign of bad optimizations to me if in such an area, the game does quite a lot with the AI and players around, effects off screen you and just a bunch of other things will make the fps jump around some, if it was going from 150 to like 60s 70s a right back to 150 then yeah maybe, But FPS isn't always going to tell you its badly optimized, Frame times are a good indicator of a badly optimized game or something going on with the system.

Destiny 2 was one of them games I felt was pretty well optimized myself, my 780ti did really well at 2560x1440.

But your 3060ti at 100% is good, which means the game is using what's available and could use more GPU power if you had it, but the CPU at 100% is not necessarily good and could limit what the GPU can do if that was the case, that would indicate a bottleneck that people don't want.

Good Luck!

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Well I mean, its not really poorly optimized if there are things going on screen and the fps is jumping around, 119, 132 to 150 is not a sign of bad optimizations to me if in such an area, the game does quite a lot with the AI and players around, effects off screen you and just a bunch of other things will make the fps jump around some, if it was going from 150 to like 60s 70s a right back to 150 then yeah maybe, But FPS isn't always going to tell you its badly optimized, Frame times are a good indicator of a badly optimized game or something going on with the system.

Destiny 2 was one of them games I felt was pretty well optimized myself, my 780ti did really well at 2560x1440.

But your 3060ti at 100% is good, which means the game is using what's available and could use more GPU power if you had it, but the CPU at 100% is not necessarily good and could limit what the GPU can do if that was the case, that would indicate a bottleneck that people don't want.

Good Luck!
My cpu thankfully does really well in the game. Rarely goes to a high use %