Is 1000w enough?

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
Hey,

I'm about to buy my new computer and I believe I've made a final decision on my components.
These include:
i7 5820k
Corsair H100i
Asus x99-a Mobo
4x8gb Ram (Crucial Ballistix Sport)
Crucial MX100 512gb x2
Seagate Barracuda 3TB x3
GTX 970 (Asus Strix) x2

I was originally going to go with an i7 4790k (and revolve my mobo and RAM etc around that) w/ an Corsair AX860i. But my local hardware store suggested I go with a Raidmax Vampire 1000w power supply (Cheaper and more wattage) and upgrade to 2011-3 instead.

I personally believe this wattage to be overkill (and so does PCPARTPICKER which recommends 600w) but I'm started to question myself. I'm slightly biased towards corsair products and the thought of a Raidmax PSU powering my system makes me cring a bit. From what I hear they're not as reputable of a brand as Corsair Seasonic etc..

Im trying to save as much money as possible (which is odd with a extreme intel CPU I know) but Im wondering if I should go with a still slightly more expensive (but still cheaper than the AXI series) Corsair RM1000w instead.

Im hoping to order soon so quick replies are appreciated :D

Thanks a lot,
Abstract

Solution
Realistically you only need about a 850W supply for that setup, but remember that it's always best to have more capacity than you need as power supplies work at peak efficiency between ~50-65% load. You also have to factor in some extra capacity if you plan on overclocking anything since that can add a couple hundred extra watts, especially with that hex-core CPU. For reference, I have a somewhat similar build (as far as power consumption goes): OCd 4770k, 2xGTX 780, 750Ti for PhysX, 2 SSDs and 3x2TB 7200rpm drives. My load consumption in most games with SLI enabled is just shy of 650W. I feel our builds would be pretty close considering the power savings I get CPU wise compared to yours are lost on the extra wattage sucked up by my...
1. That raidmax is junk.
2. 750W would be a nice sweet spot for some overclocking headroom.

I would change quite a bit to your build... Like would stick to socket 1150 4790K, unless you earn money from content creation on your build and you are pressured for time often. Even an I7 4790K has very little extra gaming performance above an I5 4690K.

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Thanks for the help :D
I know I'm stupid for heading to the extreme series for what I do with my computer... But my stupidity is still being overpowered by my urge for powerful components :(
How do you feel about the Corsair RM1000w? I was just looking at Tom's PSU tier list and apparently it is ranked tier 3 due to bad temperatures and ripple suppression? Will I be better off going with a higher quality Corsair ax860i, as that should provide enough wattage anyway?

I'm also now viewing the Cooler Master V1000. It seems to be of high quality, and at a price I like. Is this another good option?

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Realistically you only need about a 850W supply for that setup, but remember that it's always best to have more capacity than you need as power supplies work at peak efficiency between ~50-65% load. You also have to factor in some extra capacity if you plan on overclocking anything since that can add a couple hundred extra watts, especially with that hex-core CPU. For reference, I have a somewhat similar build (as far as power consumption goes): OCd 4770k, 2xGTX 780, 750Ti for PhysX, 2 SSDs and 3x2TB 7200rpm drives. My load consumption in most games with SLI enabled is just shy of 650W. I feel our builds would be pretty close considering the power savings I get CPU wise compared to yours are lost on the extra wattage sucked up by my 780s compared to your 970s. I've run this setup with my old trusty Corsair TX850m and my Seasonic X-1250xm, and while the 850 is all I really needed, I prefer to stick to the 1250 as I'm right in that ~50% peak efficiency range, plus I have all the room for expansion I'll ever need if I decide to go 3-way SLi or with a more power-hungry 2011-3 setup.

TLDR, while you don't NEED more than ~800W, get the highest quality unit you can afford and be happy with it.

Solution

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Thanks for the informative response. Do you consider the Cooler Master Gold V1000 to be an appropriate power supply?

LevelXAbstract

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Unfortunately I live all the way out in little ol' New Zealand and XFX isn't even a brand here :( I think I'll go with the CM V1000. Thanks a lot for all your help :D