[SOLVED] Is 106 Degree Celsius for an RTX 2070 Super Hot spot temperature okay?

Jul 28, 2021
Hi guys,

My RTX 2070s is water-cooled with an EKWB. Under heavy load, the temps for the core and memory runs around 80 degrees Celsius, but the hot spot goes all the way up to 106.
Is this an issue if so, how can I solve this?

Thanks

Solution
A water cooled Rtx 2070 should be nowhere near 80c on any part of the card, or do you mean the Memory Junction Temp? the limit there is 105c but even so a WC card you have an issue.

Did you buy the card with a WC block attached or self mounted?
If bought return if under warranty for repair/exchange
If mounted yourself, check the cooling block is seated properly on the GPU die, thermal paste is covering the WHOLE die surface. That the Thermal pads on the Memory chips and VRM's are the CORRECT thickness and making the proper contact to the cooler. To thin and there is no contact, to thick and the backplate will warp slightly causing a lack of pressure/contact on the GPU die itself.

Is it on a custom loop with the CPU or a stand alone...

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Hi guys,

My RTX 2070s is water-cooled with an EKWB. Under heavy load, the temps for the core and memory runs around 80 degrees Celsius, but the hot spot goes all the way up to 106.
Is this an issue if so, how can I solve this?

Thanks
Its not okay. ITS TOO HOT.
Anything above 89 Degree is too hot.

Are you sure you checked it correct? The system shuts itself down at that high of a temperature. Are you experiencing thermal throttling? (Low performance on high temps.)

Any stuttering, shutting down, freezing problem?

You should check it with another software.

Reactions: Ryank_001
Jul 28, 2021
Its not okay. ITS TOO HOT.
Anything above 89 Degree is too hot.

Are you sure you checked it correct? The system shuts itself down at that high of a temperature. Are you experiencing thermal throttling? (Low performance on high temps.)

Any stuttering, shutting down, freezing problem?

You should check it with another software.
Thanks for the reply.
I have not had any shutdowns due to this. No thermal throttling, all my games run fine: Apex legends, smite, etc..
I used HWMonitor to check the temps, have you got a recommendation for another temperature checking software?

Jun 27, 2021
The hot spot is, as the name suggests, the hottest part on the GPU.

106 is definitely too hot.

Disassembling your card and re-applying the thermal solution fixed my hotspot issue on my old 1080ti.

Alternatively, adjust your fan curve with Afterburner, or underclock your GPU.

A water cooled Rtx 2070 should be nowhere near 80c on any part of the card, or do you mean the Memory Junction Temp? the limit there is 105c but even so a WC card you have an issue.

If mounted yourself, check the cooling block is seated properly on the GPU die, thermal paste is covering the WHOLE die surface. That the Thermal pads on the Memory chips and VRM's are the CORRECT thickness and making the proper contact to the cooler. To thin and there is no contact, to thick and the backplate will warp slightly causing a lack of pressure/contact on the GPU die itself.

Is it on a custom loop with the CPU or a stand alone GPU WC, or an AIO block?
What size is the Radiator being used ? 120mm, 240, 360? And where is it mounted in your case.
What case are you using?
Do the fans pull air into the Rad or pull air away from it?

With some more info we can help

Solution
Jul 28, 2021
I'd recommend using the software known as "Speedfan".

Is it on a custom loop with the CPU or a stand alone GPU WC, or an AIO block?
What size is the Radiator being used ? 120mm, 240, 360? And where is it mounted in your case.
What case are you using?
Do the fans pull air into the Rad or pull air away from it?

With some more info we can help
Hmmm, I see. Hwmonitor doesn't specify what the hot spot is. This hadn't been much of a problem until a few months ago when I updated Hwmonitor (the new update had the hotspot readings and memory reading). Since noticing the issue, I re-did my loop and cleaned all my waterblocks.

Bit of background:
View: https://imgur.com/49unlfe
- Picture of system
Case: Antec p120
My system is a custom loop, consisting of 2 water-cooled components- i9-9900k (Bykski WB)and an RTX 2070s (EKWB).
I use 2 radiators, 360mm and 240mm. The 360mm (bottom of the case) intakes air, while the 240mm (side) takes are out of the case.
My PSU is mounted at the top and that takes the air out of the case.

I installed my GPU water block myself and used the correct thermal pad (read the instruction). I was extremely careful with the assembly. Since the first installing of my GPU water block, I have taken it apart to clean and resembled it. I made sure that the new thermal paste covered the core and that the thermal pads were in their original place. I have not changed the thermal pads since. It's been just over a year since I bought the water block.

Jul 28, 2021
The hot spot is, as the name suggests, the hottest part on the GPU.

106 is definitely too hot.

Disassembling your card and re-applying the thermal solution fixed my hotspot issue on my old 1080ti.

Alternatively, adjust your fan curve with Afterburner, or underclock your GPU.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have already tried that and that didn't seme to fix the issue.

The GPU Hotspot on my WC 6800xt hit around 85c, totally normal. Even if you replaced the old thermal pads to where they were, they always get some damage to their structure and the efficiency of heat transfer is weaker due to little air pockets from where they tear. I would replace the thermal pads as you have opened it for maintenance. It only takes one pad not to be 100% to give you an abnormally high Memory Junction temp.

Have you noticed any drop in Clock or core speed while gaming? But a rad on the floor is never a great idea as air likes to travel up but I see the case is limited to what you can do.

Jul 28, 2021
The GPU Hotspot on my WC 6800xt hit around 85c, totally normal. Even if you replaced the old thermal pads to where they were, they always get some damage to their structure and the efficiency of heat transfer is weaker due to little air pockets from where they tear. I would replace the thermal pads as you have opened it for maintenance. It only takes one pad not to be 100% to give you an abnormally high Memory Junction temp.

Have you noticed any drop in Clock or core speed while gaming? But a rad on the floor is never a great idea as air likes to travel up but I see the case is limited to what you can do.
That is a very good suggestion. I shall try this and let you know how it goes.

Sometimes (kinda rare once every 2-3 weeks, happened today actually while I was testing temps .) My games just randomly drop in fps (Haven't been monitoring clock speeds for a while) like crazy. The only fix for this is restarting my pc. I have thought too much of it as I had not been monitoring temps.
I am thinking of changing the way the air goes into my case. I don't imagine the bottom fans are helping the GPU temperatures as they blow hot air into the GPU. I might make the bottom ones outtake and the side one intakes. My only concern is that heat rises so not sure how things will work out yet. This case was my second option as the lian li o11 dynamic case was out of stock everywhere in the UK, when I was upgrading.

Thanks so much for your help!

Reactions: Schlachtwolf

TRENDING THREADS