Question Is 1080P 4K DSR as good as native 1440P

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Hello,
Currently I have a 23.6 inch 1080p monitor and I usually use 4K DSR for older games or or 2.25x DLDSR for newer games and the difference I see , especially when it comes to foliage and grass never stops to wow me. Having read so many articles about how good 1440p is , I have decided to upgrade to a 27 inch panel but I am worried since some people say that 4k DSR at 1080p looks better than 1440p native. Monitor prices are really high in my country and I don't want to waste my money on something I can barely call an upgrade. Now I don't know if I have to keep living with 4k DSR and 2.25x DLDSR until 4k gaming becomes mainstream and then upgrade to a 4k panel or I should switch to 27 inch 1440p.
I would be grateful if you could provide me with honest opinions. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2024
As someone who made the switch you are describing (minus the 4k DSR), it is a really nice upgrade. Firstly, the extra screen area is very helpful, especially when using 2 windows side-by-side. DSR may be good in games, but when you are using desktop mode doing work, browsing etc., the extra text/UI sharpness from the resolution increase is noticeable and makes the overall experience nicer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samuel-212

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
Remember that at its core, DSR is an alternative means to add anti-aliasing to your games, while upgrading to a 1440p display is a legitimate and measurable increase in pixel count. Even outside of games, the extra resolution is great to have, and it doesn't come with the same awful performance as 4K gaming. Especially if you have a higher end card designed for 1440p gaming, like a 7700XT or Nvidia XX70 card, then make the switch.

Reactions: Samuel-212

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
As someone who made the switch you are describing (minus the 4k DSR), it is a really nice upgrade. Firstly, the extra screen area is very helpful, especially when using 2 windows side-by-side. DSR may be good in games, but when you are desktop mode doing work, browsing etc., the extra text/UI sharpness from the resolution increase is noticeable and makes the overall experience nicer.

Remember that at its core, DSR is an alternative means to add anti-aliasing to your games, while upgrading to a 1440p display is a legitimate and measurable increase in pixel count. Even outside of games, the extra resolution is great to have, and it doesn't come with the same awful performance as 4K gaming. Especially if you have a higher end card designed for 1440p gaming, like a 7700XT or Nvidia XX70 card, then make the switch.
Thank you both.
Is ROG Strix XG27ACS a good monitor? I want to order it now. If you have other recommendations please let me know.

TRENDING THREADS