Is 150 mbps good for gaming?

QWERTYLIN

Commendable
Jul 6, 2017
I just got a wireless adapter for like 8 bucks and it said it has a speed of 150 mbps which I don't think its good on the new desktop that I am setting up. There is a $12 that says it has around 600 mbps. I did a speed test on it and he ms is around 9 which I guess is decent? Also, no matter what please don't suggest using external... because I can't really do that with this. Hope you can solve the question in my head.

Solution

Wireless adapters are always slower than their wired counterparts. A PCIe based wireless adapter card is faster than their SD card and USB based counterparts.

18.5MB/s is a good speed. That suggests a fairly good download speed.

The next issue is your ping. http://beta.speedtest.net/ and http://testmy.net/ are...

Dulith1118

Admirable
Dec 16, 2014
yeah my connection is 100mbps and i get 20-30 ping in csgo servers. So yeah 150mbps should be fine but keep in mind if ur router is a bit far and if theres thick walls between ur pc and the router the speed will decrease..

InvalidError

Titan
Wireless is hit-and-miss for gaming regardless of marketing speed. The speed you actually get depends on how good the compatibility with your router is and how well the signal manages to make its way between the two.

A wired connection is strongly recommended above all other options for online gaming or anything else with tight real-time data transmission requirements.

Kenton82

Reputable
Yes you’re good. Mbps is the bandwidth. As far as gaming is concerned, there are few things that you need to worry about like ping fluctuation, packet loss, and making sure the proper ports are open, as that is what will decide your online gaming experience. You'll need to make sure your ping is lower than 80 milliseconds, which i think from what you say - you are!

Hope this helps!

in this case its how reliable the connection would be instead of how much banwith you have. you could 1GB of bandwidth but if you connection keeps cutting out or slowing down then it not worth it.

WIFI is susceptible to interference so you could be getting good pings one second and then the next your wifi loses some signal and your lagging like crazy.

get a wired connection or at least use power line adapters

Jonathan Schiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
150 mbs is fine for gaming. But the real question is will you get 150mbs. When gaming on a wireless network you need to keep in mind the ping rate, network saturation, and signal loss through obstacles. For example I have an internet package of 150 mbs, and a 600 mbs wifi card in my PC connected to a ac 1200 modem rougher. In the end my through speed was 53 mbs. but I also live in an apartment with an over saturated 2.5 GHz range and for some reason the 5ghz can't make it through my walls. In the end I gave up and just got a powerline adapter and now I get the full 150 I pay for

Wireless adapters are always slower than their wired counterparts. A PCIe based wireless adapter card is faster than their SD card and USB based counterparts.

18.5MB/s is a good speed. That suggests a fairly good download speed.

The next issue is your ping. http://beta.speedtest.net/ and http://testmy.net/ are a couple sites where you can test your up and down speeds as well as your ping. Choose a server closest to where you are. A ping over 50ms will be noticeable during online gaming. Over 100ms will be very noticeable. Under 50 is a good ping. Under 10ms is very good and is ideal for the competitive online gamer.

Solution
The next issue is what your ISP provides. If you have a 50MB/s plan and you have an adapter only capable of processing 18.5MB/s you will be wasting money. ALso make sure you don't confuse MB/s with mb/s. Obvious for some but not for others.

A 9ms ping suggests you have cable based internet service. VERY nice ping. Using a wireless adapter can increase that ping and reduce your up and down speeds.