Apr 16, 2021
I have a computer that i play games on and i was wondering if 16gb ddr3 1866mhz is good for 2021. i might upgrade to 32 2133mhz since i'm probably not going to get a new motherboard and ddr4 ram, so could someone tell me if its good? but if its rational just tell me and i'll look into a new mobo. thanks!

Solution
A lot depends what you use the pc for but with DDR3 the performance difference between 1866mhz vs 2133mhz is very small. As for 32gb vs 16gb it depends on if you need more than 16gb, if what you do won’t use more than 16gb there is no benefit.

It also comes down to price. Investing money in obsolete hardware doesn’t make much sense unless it’s very cheap. Usually you are better to just save it for an upgrade to a modern platform.
A lot depends what you use the pc for but with DDR3 the performance difference between 1866mhz vs 2133mhz is very small. As for 32gb vs 16gb it depends on if you need more than 16gb, if what you do won’t use more than 16gb there is no benefit.

It also comes down to price. Investing money in obsolete hardware doesn’t make much sense unless it’s very cheap. Usually you are better to just save it for an upgrade to a modern platform.

Solution
Apr 16, 2021

Ok, thanks. Do you think it would be a good idea to save for a new motherboard, one compatible with nicer cpus, and ddr4 slots? right now im running 16gb ddr3 1866, i7 6700, and a 3060ti. i'll save the 3060ti if i were to buy a new mobo.