[SOLVED] Is 1g of thermal paste enough for 1 CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
After some research, I decided invest on a good thermal paste, the Grizzly Kryonaught Thermal

This paste is expensive.... so I hope to only buy 1g of it... instead of larger amounts

I know that you're only use to put paste the size of a rice grain... so 1g should be more than enough right?

Solution
Exactly my thoughts, then I wondered why they would sell 5.5 grams.. or tubs of it lol. Maybe those amounts would be for multiple use hehe; but some pastes only have shelf lives of 2-3 years, and you're only supposed to replace the paste every now and then (from what I've read)... so I don't really know why they would need more than a gram of paste........................

Yes, I realize that; but the Kryonaught seems to have unmatchable temp benchmarks - this is according to research by YouTubers, and hobbyists

Using like it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference in my build anyway - but I'm choosing it specifically because it happens to be the cheapest one available at the moment (black friday deals, etc)

1st system...

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
If 1 gram were not enough for a single CPU, they wouldn't sell it in 1 gram packets.

But, you do realize that the expensive pastes are not magic, right? You might get a degree or two difference.

What is on the system now? What CPU and cooler?
Exactly my thoughts, then I wondered why they would sell 5.5 grams.. or tubs of it lol. Maybe those amounts would be for multiple use hehe; but some pastes only have shelf lives of 2-3 years, and you're only supposed to replace the paste every now and then (from what I've read)... so I don't really know why they would need more than a gram of paste........................

Yes, I realize that; but the Kryonaught seems to have unmatchable temp benchmarks - this is according to research by YouTubers, and hobbyists

Using like it probably wouldn't make that much of a difference in my build anyway - but I'm choosing it specifically because it happens to be the cheapest one available at the moment (black friday deals, etc)

1st system: CPU is i7-10700; Cooler is Xigmatek Aurora (AIO)

2nd system: CPU is Intel Xeon; cheap Cooler Master cooler

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

1st system: CPU is i7-10700; Cooler is Xigmatek Aurora (AIO)

2nd system: CPU is Intel Xeon; cheap Cooler Master cooler
And they hope you believe that.

To be honest a bad application of Kryonaught is no better than a good application of artic 5.
When you get into 1 or 2C your just splitting hairs.

For the shelf life I've used opened 10 year old Coolmaster stuff that comes with a hyper 212 with no problems.

For having to change paste never really had to do that. I hear of people saying change it every few years and in all honesty I have never seen any dried up.

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.