Is 1GB Vram Enougth 4 playing Fortnite at 720p or 768p?

Jan 27, 2019
Hi...
This is mi spec.
Q9550 4x 2.8mhz
8GB ram DDR2 Kingston
GTX 650 1GB

Im thinking on getting a new graphic card.
Should i buy a 2gb vram or a better card with 1gb?
Im thinking about a 750 ti o 750 of 2gb but maybe i can buy a better card at the same price or lower but with 1gb vram.
Wath should i do ?
Im not going to change my monitor and his max resolution is 1366 x 768.
I play with all low except for view distance to mid o high.
Ty

GTX750ti would be a fair upgrade.`GTX1050 would be better.
Do not worry about the vram, it will be appropriate to the card you buy.

VRAM has become a marketing issue.
My understanding is that vram is more of a performance issue than a functional issue.
A game needs to have most of the data in vram that it uses most of the time.
Somewhat like real ram.
If a game needs something not in vram, it needs to get it across the pcie boundary
hopefully from real ram and hopefully not from a hard drive.
It is not informative to know to what level the available vram is filled.
Possibly much of what is there is not needed.
What is not known is the rate of vram exchange.
Vram is managed by the Graphics card driver, and by the game. There may be differences in effectiveness between amd and nvidia cards.
And differences between games.
Here is an older performance test comparing 2gb with 4gb vram.
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Video-Card-Performance-2GB-vs-4GB-Memory-154/
Spoiler... not a significant difference.
A more current set of tests shows the same results:
http://www.techspot.com/review/1114-vram-comparison-test/page5.html

And... no game maker wants to limit their market by
requiring huge amounts of vram. The vram you see will be appropriate to the particular card.

Recommended system requirements are a video card with 2GB VRAM. Lower settings and/ or lower resolutions will decrease the amount of VRAM necessary.

Let's start with the important part first though. What country are you in and what is your budget?

Jan 27, 2019
Im from Argentina ( so buy is expensive and hard to find,probably going to buy in aliexpress ).
a 750 of 1gb is like 37.5 usd.
a 750 ti of 1gb is maybe 42 usd.
For similar price there is too a 7770 ( 38 usd )
and 560 ti ( 40 usd )
and 650 ti boost 1gb ( 43 usd )
7850 (44 usd )
750 2gb ( 46.5 usd )
r7 260x 1gb ( 47.5 usd )
Ti boost 2gb ( 52 usd )
750 ti 2gb ( 53 usd )
r7 260x 2gb ( 53 usd )
gtx 660 2gb ( 53 usd )

I think 53 usd is my max budget...
So should i go 4 the gtx 660? right? xD
My psu is Antec VP500p
Mi other spec are:
Q9550
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3R
8 GB Ram DDR2 800 Mhz
1 SSD Kingston 120GB

I think that better graphic card than the 660 will be bottlenecked by the cpu,right?.

Your Q9550 was very good in it's day.
Not so much now.
To get an idea if a graphics card upgrade will benefit you, try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Here is a chart of the relative performance of your various options:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Two tiers difference is not that important.
On your list, I think I like the more modern GTX750ti the best, either 1gb or 2gb.

I didn't get as much time to test today as I wanted (and I'm gone this coming week) but I did throw fortnite on my Athlon x3 450 + 7770 1GB machine today and it needed low settings (medium draw distance) at 1080p to maintain >45fps with minimal frame rate drops. Medium settings was unplayable. I might have had some background process issues that I still want to iron out, but I'd recommend shooting higher than that.
FWIW I did have GPUz logging in the background and although the game filled the 1GB VRAM at all times, it appeared to have only used 400MB @ 1080p low settings.
Unfortunately I outright suck @ Fortnite (pretty much get killed by the first person i engage) so aside from the staging area and drop, there weren't a ton of people on my screen at a time (I presume that would be more of a CPU-limited scenario anyway)

Your CPU is a limiting factor also. It's only going to let you go so far. Get that sucker OC'd. 3.4GHz seems completely within reason.

I know your GTX650 doesn't set the world on fire, but it's important to make sure you're getting a worthwhile/ noticeable upgrade for the money you're spending. Of that list, the 7850 and GTX660 stick out to me.

Jan 27, 2019
Im going to try that "test" to see if my cpu can go higher.
I was thinking the same..maybe jump from 650 to 750 is kinda bla...maybe 750 ti but again not a big change...
i think 7850 could be a good option 4 1gb...and a good price...but is kinda old...
Im going to test and see wath i do..i see 660 like a bomb xD but its more expensive...
and maybe bottlenecking my q9550.

TRENDING THREADS