is 1x16gb stick ok for video editing?

Sunfire789

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
so heres the story: I am building a streaming/ video/ audio editing pc. and I am so far planning on building an mini itx build, so it can fit nicely in a certain spot on my desk. However, with an MINI ITX b350 mobo, They only support 2 ram slots as most of you probably know. I cant buy 32gb of ram right now, so i was wondering if 1 stick of 16gb ram, would suffice for a year or so? i plan on editing at ,most 1440p videos, and 1080p vids, so side question, is 16gb ram good enough for 1440p? I believe it is, but not exactly sure. but ye, is 16gb single stick of ram fine for a year of video editing before grabbing a second stick?

thanks!

Solution
There are multiple videos by LINUS on youtube explaining how much RAM You need and the outcome of them is that you need more than 8 GB of ram only if you are gaming and 16 or more if you are editing and creating content, since you are going to edit video 16 would be the bare minimum you will need so having 32 gb will not only give you More gigs to work around but also better performance in dual channel.
CAN YOU EDIT ON 16 GIG? Yes you can but soon you will feel like you need more ram while rendering and softwares like adobe premiere pro take advantage of more memory and it's speed.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
There are multiple videos by LINUS on youtube explaining how much RAM You need and the outcome of them is that you need more than 8 GB of ram only if you are gaming and 16 or more if you are editing and creating content, since you are going to edit video 16 would be the bare minimum you will need so having 32 gb will not only give you More gigs to work around but also better performance in dual channel.
CAN YOU EDIT ON 16 GIG? Yes you can but soon you will feel like you need more ram while rendering and softwares like adobe premiere pro take advantage of more memory and it's speed.

Solution
A single stick is going to result in some lower performance than you would expect from a dual channel kit.
Additionally, you could potentially run into issues when you add in a second stick, and ram is only guaranteed to work in the kit is sold in. Its a fairly high chance of it working, but it can cause issues.

I personally would get 2x8 for the time being, and just replace the whole kit later. RAM prices are expected to see a drop in the near future.