[SOLVED] Is 1x6 pin to 2x8 pin adapters safe?

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
I'm about to buy an rx 570 wich needs 1x8 pin, but my power supply only has 2x6 pin. I know that the 1x6 pin to 1x8 pin is not that safe, and the 2x6 pin to 1x8 pin is better, but I just can't find any in my country (Hungary) and if I want to buy 1, I have to buy it on Amazon, but it has the same cost with the shipping as a new psu wich has 8 pin. So I found this 1x6 pin to 2x8 pin adaper in Hungary https://www.delock.de/produkte/G_85455/merkmale.html?setLanguage=en . My question is that can I use it for my rx 570?

Solution
4gb vram is already pretty much the minimum so i'm not sure i'd say it will last for 5+ years. no one really knows the answer to that. many new AAA games want 6 gb minimum already to run high settings.

me personally i'm ok with lower settings which is why i went for the 1650 super. but if you're one of those who just has to turn on all the eye candy or feel like you're missing out, then you may want to go for more vram or know you will be upgrading within a couple years instead or 4+.

the other side is that less gpu power with more vram will need to be upgraded as well. when newer games require more horsepower from the gpu, you'll still be lagging behind. i chose a stronger gpu over more vram as i went through the same questions...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no, you were on the right track at first. 2 x 6-pin to 1 x 8-pin is ok. but not the other way around.

a 6-pin provides 75w of power while an 8-pin gives 150w. so 2 x 6-pin will give the needed 150w to the 8-pin. but a single 6-pin obviously can't feed 1 8-pin much less 2.

keep looking and hopefully you'll find the adapter you need. otherwise you'll need that new psu

Reactions: King_V

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
no, you were on the right track at first. 2 x 6-pin to 1 x 8-pin is ok. but not the other way around.

a 6-pin provides 75w of power while an 8-pin gives 150w. so 2 x 6-pin will give the needed 150w to the 8-pin. but a single 6-pin obviously can't feed 1 8-pin much less 2.

keep looking and hopefully you'll find the adapter you need. otherwise you'll need that new psu
I actually messed up, because my psu doesn't have 2x6 pin, just 1x6, I didn't remember well. But I don't get it, why is there a 1x6 pin to 2x8 pin? And people say that's working fine.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
no idea why, more than likely it is a fake review or someone not knowing what they are saing. but i know they do not allow the card to work as intended without full power. some people may get a pc to boot using one of these but i can guarantee the card is not running as it should, despite it booting up. as i noted above, 75w 6-pin can not give 150w of power to a card as the connection desires. at the minimum the lack of power will cause the gpu to look elsewhere for it, which is the pcie slot itself. it can then overdraw that slot and damage the mobo.

at the worst, the card tries to pull the full power from the adapter and melts down the circuit causing a nice cozy fire to roast marshmallows to. neither is a good result. you need a new psu or a different card.

for instance a 1650 super only uses a 6-pin and is a lot stronger than a 570 as well. a regular 1650 usually needs no extra power at all. there are plenty of good options that only use a 6-pin. just see what else is available that your psu can actually power.

also note that most 570 cards don't use an 8-pin either. no idea what model you are looking at but look at others as only the top end overclocked models would need extra power. do look again and you might be mistaken about the 8-pin need. now if you actually meant an rx 580, then yah they all need an 8-pin.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This does also beg the question of: what is the brand and EXACT model of your PSU? If it only came with a 1x6-pin connector, then that might indicate that the manufacturer did not expect it to have to handle a video card that draws more power than that.

also note that most 570 cards don't use an 8-pin either. no idea what model you are looking at but look at others as only the top end overclocked models would need extra power. do look again and you might be mistaken about the 8-pin need. now if you actually meant an rx 580, then yah they all need an 8-pin.
I thought most RX 570 cards required an 8-pin, since they didn't want to take a chance of saturating both a single 6-pin (75W) plus the PCIe slot (75W max), give that the standard RX 570 is a 150W TDP card.

Some went overkill, with a second connector, and that was definitely always puzzling to me.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
no idea why, more than likely it is a fake review or someone not knowing what they are saing. but i know they do not allow the card to work as intended without full power. some people may get a pc to boot using one of these but i can guarantee the card is not running as it should, despite it booting up. as i noted above, 75w 6-pin can not give 150w of power to a card as the connection desires. at the minimum the lack of power will cause the gpu to look elsewhere for it, which is the pcie slot itself. it can then overdraw that slot and damage the mobo.

at the worst, the card tries to pull the full power from the adapter and melts down the circuit causing a nice cozy fire to roast marshmallows to. neither is a good result. you need a new psu or a different card.

for instance a 1650 super only uses a 6-pin and is a lot stronger than a 570 as well. a regular 1650 usually needs no extra power at all. there are plenty of good options that only use a 6-pin. just see what else is available that your psu can actually power.

Yea, I know these things, that's why I couldn't figure out what is this adapter want to be. Also I don't think that the 1650 super is better than the rx 570 8gb. I found 2 rx 570 8gb with 6pin, but one is the itx version, and the other is just out of stock now. All of the others needs a 8pin connector ( I didn't look up those rx 570s wich is more expensive than a rx 580 lol). But I'm about to buy a new psu anyway, because my psu is a bit loud for me and it's and 'LC-Power' psu, so I want to buy a Chieftec or something like this. But thank you for the explanation.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
LC-Power Office Series LC500H-12 V2.2 500W so this is my current psu. CHIEFTEC VALUE 500W (APB-500B8) and this is the psu I want to buy. Both are cheap, but it's a budget pc and I can't afford a more expensive one if I want to buy a video card as well. I'm a student and I have a summer job and it won't last long now, because of school. But I wonder if a 500W 80%+ psu will be enough. Everyone say it will be (I mean I read it in every page that I've visited)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that chieftec is not very good at all. the wattage it claims is not the whole picture. many junk units claim 750w or more yet can only deliver 300w on a good day. the internal components, the quality of the build itself, protections built in, how it handles power delivery and other considerations go into what makes a decent psu.

i'd save for a better psu/gpu combo if possible. you would not buy a ferrari and put a 2 stroke lawnmower engine in it. the psu is the engine of the pc and no good can come from skimping on it!!

but if that's what you plan on doind, then i'd only do it as a temp option. i'd not use it for long as little good can come from it. at ;east i has a 6+2 pcie connection.

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020
I'm thinking about to buy a 1650 super instead of an rx 570, because the 1650 s needs only a 6pin connector, outperforms the rx 570 and cheaper in my country. My last question is that 4gb of vram will be enough for next 4-5-6 years? Because this is the only disadvantage of the 1650 s compared to the rx 570 wich has 8gb of vram. (for 1080p)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
4gb vram is already pretty much the minimum so i'm not sure i'd say it will last for 5+ years. no one really knows the answer to that. many new AAA games want 6 gb minimum already to run high settings.

me personally i'm ok with lower settings which is why i went for the 1650 super. but if you're one of those who just has to turn on all the eye candy or feel like you're missing out, then you may want to go for more vram or know you will be upgrading within a couple years instead or 4+.

the other side is that less gpu power with more vram will need to be upgraded as well. when newer games require more horsepower from the gpu, you'll still be lagging behind. i chose a stronger gpu over more vram as i went through the same questions you're asking now when i bought a couple months ago. in the end i decided i wanted more gpu power knowing i'd be lowering settings over time.

Solution

qensyd

Commendable
Aug 21, 2020

the other side is that less gpu power with more vram will need to be upgraded as well. when newer games require more horsepower from the gpu, you'll still be lagging behind. i chose a stronger gpu over more vram as i went through the same questions you're asking now when i bought a couple months ago. in the end i decided i wanted more gpu power knowing i'd be lowering settings over time.
My best gpu is a 550 ti that I have now, so I'm not that type of people XD. I'm also think that 4gb of vram will be enough, because if a game needs more then I have to turn down the setting because a low-mid-range card won't make that game run on 60fps anyways in high setting, even the rx 570 can't, doesn't matter if it has 8gb of vram. (I saw videos where the game needed more vram than 4gb, and the 1650 super still outperformed the rx 570 with 8gb. So I think I'm gonna buy the 1650 s. Thanks for everything

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
LC-Power Office Series LC500H-12 V2.2 500W so this is my current psu. CHIEFTEC VALUE 500W (APB-500B8) and this is the psu I want to buy. Both are cheap, but it's a budget pc and I can't afford a more expensive one if I want to buy a video card as well. I'm a student and I have a summer job and it won't last long now, because of school. But I wonder if a 500W 80%+ psu will be enough. Everyone say it will be (I mean I read it in every page that I've visited)

A GOOD 500W PSU, yes, a BAD 500W PSU, no.

But, you have the priorities wrong, you SHOULD be saying:
"I can't afford a GPU if I want to buy a good/safe PSU."