[SOLVED] Is 2 Hdd Compatibility a thing(Same brand)? Hdd noise + high usage

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
I have Gigabyte Z370M D3h Motherboard, I have 2 different Hdds one is Segate Barracuda 1TB [old] and another one is Seagate (No name) 1TB [new]. Now when I plugged both in, the New No Name HDD becomes slow, reaches 100% active time/usage when browsing or copying small files and I can't even imaging copying large folders with multiple subfolders. It was not like that from the beginning.
But when I remove the old one, the new one becomes fast/normal. Is it because both hdds not compatible with each other or mobo problem?

I have tried switching ports but it's the same. To clear up, I didn't buy the No name drive. A person working with tech did, he has been getting me stuff for many years so that I don't have to go and get and buy because I was young then.

ALSO, I can hear a constant wine noise from hdd (very very very low volume) not sure which one tho. Will have to test.

And when copying from New No name drive, The copying speed goes up then down to 0 bytes for a sec with a beep/peek sound from physical hdd which lasts for half a sec, then speed goes up again stays there for a bit, then goes back to 0 with peek sound. Sound also occurs with an interval of 5 or so secs when browsing or watching a movie on the no name drive. Task manager shows 8000ms(8s) response time.

Specs: http://specr.me/show/8ee. I do have m.2 ssd, so no problem in startup or windows. Except when drive hangs and explorer crashes.

Solution
There, ples tell me what does it mean when I see red marks/sectors in error scans. What to do?
4cCeDes.png

Ples tell me what does it mean when I see red marks/sectors in error scans. What to do?

HDD is definately faulty. Read error in benchmark + error scan gives red (which means faulty sector). Please check warranty replacement.

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Health screenshots from both drives. Relocated sectors and pending sectors value should be visible.
Also run read benchmark on both drives.
The health of another drive as well
GtDIuYk.png

Read Benchmark of Old Drive two drops at first but fine later
lqCxGHy.png

Read Benchmark of New Drive test got aborted but usage was high from start

a1YKOHJ.png

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Health screenshots from both drives. Relocated sectors and pending sectors value should be visible.
Also run read benchmark on both drives.

I did an error check on the old drive (quick scan), it was fine. But I did normal error scan for the New drive it showed some bad/damaged spots, it would take a long time so I stopped it and did quick scan of new drive which showed me all is fine which is not the case, I should trust the normal scan. Normal scan for old drive is very fast, faster than new one, and it seems it will be fully green. Scanning speed is 200MB/s than the new one's 7MB/s.

So what does error scan mean, what should I do when I see errors on Hdd? I have warranty so I guess replacing will be the best thing?

Stopped Normal error scan of New Drive cuz taking too long

4XFu99G.png

Quick error scan of New Drive which is incorrect

NAb4Fln.png

Normal Error scan on Old Hdd faster than New one
will let it finish

a8vHAjt.png

Fkort96

Great
Nov 17, 2019
There, ples tell me what does it mean when I see red marks/sectors in error scans. What to do?
4cCeDes.png

Ples tell me what does it mean when I see red marks/sectors in error scans. What to do?

HDD is definately faulty. Read error in benchmark + error scan gives red (which means faulty sector). Please check warranty replacement.

Reactions: Mr.Stork
Solution

Mr.Stork

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Thanks, I have a warranty that will replace it.
But do I need to leave space for windows when I plug the newly replaced HDD? I am asking this because I heard I have to keep 100mb-1gb (whatever it takes automatically while partitioning) or so for "System Reserved" for it to function properly.

Fkort96

Great
Nov 17, 2019
Thanks, I have a warranty that will replace it.
But do I need to leave space for windows when I plug the newly replaced HDD? I am asking this because I heard I have to keep 100mb-1gb (whatever it takes automatically while partitioning) or so for "System Reserved" for it to function properly.

System reserved is master boot record I think. You do not have to be concerned about that. If you partition it in Windows Drive Manager in control panel it will automatically add a system reserved if necessary.