[SOLVED] Is 2080 worth buying if you don't care/like ray tracing?

wabale97

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
I don't like ray tracing that much. I will turn it off If I buy this card.
EDIT=
Actually, I am giving away my whole setup to my brother for a new one.
Maybe I will look for other build and decide how it should be or I just hype spending much without thinking.
All of you guys given an amazing response. I don't know who should be awarded.

Last edited:
Solution
Haven't decided yet.
Actually, I am giving my whole setup to my brother for a new one.
Maybe I will look for other build and decide how it should be or I just hype spending much without thinking.

Well, to be honest, the GPU and monitor almost go hand in hand. Say, for example, you were running a 1080p monitor with a max of 75Hz. Since it can't actually display more than 75 fps, going for a 2080 would be overkill on it.

For gaming, I recommend against running 4K because even a 2080Ti would have trouble in a few games maintaining 60fps at max details (though it can do so for most games).

But, yeah, the best thing to do is to think about what you want out of your system before selecting parts.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ray tracing is optional in only in a select few games atm, mainly Battlefield. Get the card for its raw power now. Ray tracing draws tremendous amount of processing power and wouldn't blame anyone turning it off. Really, no gpu is truly ready for ray tracing, Nvidia jumped the gun and Dice needed to dial back ray tracing quality in Battlefield 5 to have it playable. Nvidia gave the hype but realistically they weren't ready. Other than expecting too much from ray tracing, 2080 is a really good card.

Ray tracing is optional in only in a select few games atm, mainly Battlefield. Get the card for its raw power now. Ray tracing draws tremendous amount of processing power and wouldn't blame anyone turning it off. Really, no gpu is truly ready for ray tracing, Nvidia jumped the gun and Dice needed to dial back ray tracing quality in Battlefield 5 to have it playable. Nvidia gave the hype but realistically they weren't ready. Other than expecting too much from ray tracing, 2080 is a really good card.

Yeah the only card to really use RT with is the 2080Ti.

I have it turned on in 2 games that I play, SOTTR and Metro Exodus and it works very well.

I have BF 5, but I have never played it, not my kind of game.

Reactions: boju
I would wait and buy a Amd 5700 xt for a lot less money then. Yes it performs more like a 2070 but the price is much more appealing.
I think this all depends. If you're wanting 2080 levels of performance, waiting for a lesser performing card doesn't make sense. If the budget for the 2080 is there, might as well go for it. I'm really enjoying my 2080, and believe it's worth it. I don't turn on RT at all.

I'd also wait for independent testing of the 5700 before fully recommending it.

Reactions: jankerson
It's about the same speed as a 1080ti except it has less memory. (8GB vs 11GB) This will hamper it at 4K with large textures.

Other than that, it's a wash.

You might also want to consider the Vega VII (7 nm) with 16GB memory. It runs just as fast if not a little faster in some applications (@4K). It's more future proof with more memory and a similar price point. It will consume more power. The power cost addition is trivial over a couple years time. However you have to make sure you PSU is up to the task. (A 650Watt PSU would be my personal minimum for this card and 750 if you wish to overclock at all)

wabale97

Reputable
Oct 15, 2018
What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does it have GSync?

What is your frame-rate goal, and for which games?

Haven't decided yet.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Haven't decided yet.

Well, to be honest, the GPU and monitor almost go hand in hand. Say, for example, you were running a 1080p monitor with a max of 75Hz. Since it can't actually display more than 75 fps, going for a 2080 would be overkill on it.

For gaming, I recommend against running 4K because even a 2080Ti would have trouble in a few games maintaining 60fps at max details (though it can do so for most games).

But, yeah, the best thing to do is to think about what you want out of your system before selecting parts.

Reactions: wabale97
Solution