[SOLVED] Is 250GB enough for OS and Applications?

Vky Rhodes

Commendable
Mar 28, 2017
Hi there,

Is Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SSD enough for OS and applications? Or should i go for 500GB?

Software I will install (Important ones):
  1. Adobe Illustrator
  2. After Effects
  3. Photoshop
  4. Adobe Animate
  5. Adobe Premier Pro
  6. DaVinci Resolve
  7. Adobe Audition
  8. Pinnacle Studio
  9. Wondershare Filmora
  10. And a few more....
Please let me know
Thanks.

Solution
Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you please explain why a 1TB Crucial MX500 would be a better pick than a 1TB Intel 660p (it's cheaper anf faster)?

I was more looking at it as a replacement option for the two 500gb Samsung 860's you listed. Two MX500 drives would be competitive in price and performance to the two samsung drives but give you an extra 500gb of drive space. But you could certainly substitute the intel drive in place of the second MX500 drive also. I thought the intel drive was a little more expensive when I made the original post. There are a lot of different scenarios you could come up with.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
From looking at the file sizes of the applications I'd say that you're not really going to have any issues with a 250GB assuming it's just the applications, the OS and some other bits

For reference:
PS = 1.3GB
Premier Pro = 1.0GB
After Effects = 1.1GB

What really matters is what you'll be doing within them, how much you're going to store on that drive other than just the applications and the OS.

Overall I'd say 500GB would be better for the purpose of future proofing especially if you will be using the drive to store other things.

Reactions: Vky Rhodes

Vky Rhodes

Commendable
Mar 28, 2017
From looking at the file sizes of the applications I'd say that you're not really going to have any issues with a 250GB assuming it's just the applications, the OS and some other bits

For reference:
PS = 1.3GB
Premier Pro = 1.0GB
After Effects = 1.1GB

What really matters is what you'll be doing within them, how much you're going to store on that drive other than just the applications and the OS.

Overall I'd say 500GB would be better for the purpose of future proofing especially if you will be using the drive to store other things.

The only reason I'm not considering 500GB is that I'm planning to not use primary drive for anything other than OS and Software. Won't that extra space be wasted?

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
The only reason I'm not considering 500GB is that I planning to not use primary drive for anthing other than OS and Software. Won't that extra space be wasted?
If you're genuinely just using it for the OS and Software and don't plan to use it for much else in the future then I'd say go for 250GB, worst case scenario you can always invest in another drive later down the line if circumstances happen to change and you decide to make use of the extra space.

Reactions: Vky Rhodes

Vky Rhodes

Commendable
Mar 28, 2017
If you're genuinely just using it for the OS and Software and don't plan to use it for much else in the future then I'd say go for 250GB, worst case scenario you can always invest in another drive later down the line if circumstances happen to change and you decide to make use of the extra space.

I have two options:
Option1: 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for OS + Applications and 1TB Intel 660p M.2 for project files & other storage.
Option 2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for OS + Applications and another 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for project files & other storage.

Can there be 3rd option in the similar budget?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you please explain why a 1TB Crucial MX500 would be a better pick than a 1TB Intel 660p (it's cheaper anf faster)?

I was more looking at it as a replacement option for the two 500gb Samsung 860's you listed. Two MX500 drives would be competitive in price and performance to the two samsung drives but give you an extra 500gb of drive space. But you could certainly substitute the intel drive in place of the second MX500 drive also. I thought the intel drive was a little more expensive when I made the original post. There are a lot of different scenarios you could come up with.

Solution

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019
I have two options:
Option1: 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for OS + Applications and 1TB Intel 660p M.2 for project files & other storage.
Option 2: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for OS + Applications and another 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for project files & other storage.

Option 1 is much better here. If I could get the mx500 240Gb cheaper I would get that instead, and if I could get the mx500 1Tb cheaper than the 660p I would get that too.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
I have two options:

Apologies for the lack of reply! Things got a bit busy, it looks like people have since responded to your query; did they answer your question?