[SOLVED] Is 256gb RAM possible for i9-9960x?

chuametelo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
Hi Guys.
Just wanna ask if it is possible to run a total 256gb ram with an i9-9960x?
My 9960x is advertised with a max of 128gb but just curious if it'll handle double of what is advertised.
I have an Asus prime deluxe II x299 mobo.

I hope to hear from you guys.
Thank you.

Boinks

Solution
The motherboard supports up to 128GB of memory. That is what determines the limitation, more than the CPU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The motherboard supports up to 128GB of memory. That is what determines the limitation, more than the CPU.

Solution

chuametelo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013

hi tnx for dropping by.
i have seen this rig in scan.co.uk
i have same motherboard but they have it w/ 256 gb.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/shared/7...gshare&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=copypaste

COLGeek

Cybernaut

chuametelo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
Understood. I suppose that could be true, but I tend to go with what the motherboard builder says. 256GB may work.

Regardless, why do you need so much memory? If I may ask.

So if the motherboard will work with 256gb, will my i9-9960x do? they are only advertised also as 128 gb, but then I saw in another forum that he was using same mobo with mine but with i9-9940x cpu...i9-9940x are also advertised with 128max....

I use my rig for 3d visualization, might hop to animation also..depends "P

Though I'm not that 100% sure for 256gb if its not certain if itll work and will be stable, I might just go with 128gb....but again if 256gb will work then i'll do the max of it.
My render engine is sometimes complaining with my current 64gb so I really need to beef up my memory. 128gb atleast...or 256gb if it'll work....i know it'll looks overkill :p

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suspect the limitation is because the CPU doesn't support ECC memory ( the type supported by Xeons and used in workstations/servers) and the size limitations of consumer memory.

For your stated use, a Xeon might serve you better.

I was concerned that you were looking for "moar powa" for Minecraft, or some such silliness.

You also have the 128GB option and no real concerns. Still a lot of memory in a very capable rig.

chuametelo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
I suspect the limitation is because the CPU doesn't support ECC memory ( the type supported by Xeons and used in workstations/servers) and the size limitations of consumer memory.
I see....got it

For your stated use, a Xeon might serve you better.
Maybe in my next build i might...if i have the budget for a xeon set up :)

I was concerned that you were looking for "moar powa" for Minecraft, or some such silliness.
hahahaha i'll kill myself if just for games ...actually i dont do games :)

You also have the 128GB option and no real concerns. Still a lot of memory in a very capable rig.
i see...got it...yah, i think i'll stick with this option....

Now my other question or i may say a clarification?.... my mobo has 8 memory slots for 16gb x 8 =128gb.......will 32gb X 4 sticks work? as it shows like in Scan Uk they have 32gb x 8 sticks for 256 total....
So that atleast if i have in mind to upgrade my cpu with those having 256gb max, then i would just add another 4 sticks of 32gb in the future....

chuametelo

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2013
Looks like that configuration will work.

See here for some QVL configs: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...DELUXE_II/X299_Series_Memory_QVL_20200526.pdf

Are you ordering the rig from Scan UK?

thanks for the link..

Nope, I'm not ordering from them.. That set up was just forwarded to me to show that my mobo will work with 256gb. But they did not say about my i9-9960x if it'll work or not.

I'm just searching now in amazon and newegg for available memory...sadly the stock is limited i think as i saw it only in newegg and none in amazon...what bugs me is that newegg is selling says " recommended use : AMD 400 Series / AMD 500 Series / AMD TRX40 / Intel 400 Series "...lol

this is the item....
https://www.newegg.com/corsair-128g...m 128gb-_-20-236-750-_-Product&quicklink=true

I have the old (standard non rgb) 64gb corsair dominator platinum 16x4 CL3200...if it has only stock i would get another set of it ...but again, no stock even in corsair website.

TRENDING THREADS