Is 27´ Display too big for a small desk?

justrapture1959

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Hi.

I was looking to upgrading my monitor. I was looking at an Acer 27´ 1440p 144hz, I'm using a 21,5' monitor and I'm like 1.2 feets away from the screen. I was really hyped up into this new monitor, but then I realized that maybe it's too big, but I'm not really sure. Need the answer from 27' users with small desks. I do a lot of gaming and video/photo editing.
Also, I know this is a bit off topic but.. are curved-monitors good for this viewing distance?

Thanks for reading.

Solution
If your 21.5" monitor is 1080p it's 102ppi, and 1440p 27" would be even finer at 109ppi so you would likely be comfortable sitting even closer to it than the 21.5". OTOH a 30" at that resolution would be 98ppi so you'd want a deeper desk to sit a bit further away.

Curved monitors generally aren't curved enough to help much with reducing focus changes with your eye, but could help a poor viewing angle panel type like TN for high-refresh gaming. It's a lot easier to avoid reflections with a flat panel though so for curved, anti-glare matte is better than glossy. And it's a bit odd to use for productivity because all of the lines in Excel follow the curve, but dunno if this would annoy you for photo editing.
If your 21.5" monitor is 1080p it's 102ppi, and 1440p 27" would be even finer at 109ppi so you would likely be comfortable sitting even closer to it than the 21.5". OTOH a 30" at that resolution would be 98ppi so you'd want a deeper desk to sit a bit further away.

Curved monitors generally aren't curved enough to help much with reducing focus changes with your eye, but could help a poor viewing angle panel type like TN for high-refresh gaming. It's a lot easier to avoid reflections with a flat panel though so for curved, anti-glare matte is better than glossy. And it's a bit odd to use for productivity because all of the lines in Excel follow the curve, but dunno if this would annoy you for photo editing.

Solution