[SOLVED] Is 270$ USD a good deal for a lightly used 3060? (Current price new $410 USD in Canada)

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
Hello!

I recently purchased a used 3060 (he had the original receipt and it is only 2 months old). The guy said he used it a handful of times and I believe it since its mint condition and has 0 problems.

Everyone is saying the 3060 is a terrible value so im having 2nd thoughts and im just thinking of selling it and grabbing a 3060 ti (which are priced new at around $460 USD in my country)

I am just wondering if the 3060 was a good deal or not/ should I just grab a 3060 ti and sell the 3060? Mainly play wow/csgo on 1080p 144 hz.

Thanks for your opinion,

Mark

Last edited:
Solution
Wonder if any statistics about 3060 failure rate exists

Gave a quick look and didn't find statistics about RTX 3000 series, but i did find one retailer's RMA statistic on Nvidia and AMD GPUs, including RTX 2000 series and GTX 1600 series, among others,
link: https://hardwaresfera.com/en/noticias/hardware/tasa-devolucion-rma-amd-nvidia/

Take it as a rough guideline, since it covers only one retailer, and doesn't factor in why RMA was made. It just lists RMA as a whole. While RMA can be made for any reason, other than GPU dying. E.g visual defect or customer just wants trade-in their GPU, by going with another GPU.

--

All-in-all, i prefer to buy premium version of the same GPU, than the cheapest option. E.g for the price...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Everyone is saying the 3060 is a terrible value so im having 2nd thoughts and im just thinking of selling it and grabbing a 3060 ti (which are priced new at around $460 USD in my country)

I wouldn't say RTX 3060 has terrible value. Sure, RTX 3060 Ti has better value but for example, RTX 3090 has far worse value than RTX 3060. Value = price to performance ratio.
Here's a good guideline regarding value, just order the list by Value,
link: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/

Mainly play wow/csgo on 1080p 144 hz.

If you're happy with the performance of the GPU, you can keep it. However,

I recently purchased a used 3060 (he had the original receipt and it is only 2 months old).

If something would happen with the GPU, do note that you do not have any warranty with that GPU, since you bought it used and GPU warranty will not transfer. Only way to make RMA claim is when you ask the original purchaser to do it for you, under their own name, but that would be fraud and when found out, there can be monetary penalties.

So, if you want to have warranty on your GPU, buy a brand new one. If you don't care about warranty, keep using what you have.

Edit:
In my book, when any used hardware is sold, regardless how unused it is, price for me will be 50% from MSRP, since i don't get any warranty with it and i'm taking a risk. So, RTX 3060 MSRP is $329, making the price you paid, $270, way too expensive for it. $180 is proper price for it, since it doesn't have warranty.

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016
I wouldn't say RTX 3060 has terrible value. Sure, RTX 3060 Ti has better value but for example, RTX 3090 has far worse value than RTX 3060. Value = price to performance ratio.

If something would happen with the GPU, do note that you do not have any warranty with that GPU, since you bought it used and GPU warranty will not transfer. Only way to make RMA claim is when you ask the original purchaser to do it for you, under their own name, but that would be fraud and when found out, there can be monetary penalties.

So, if you want to have warranty on your GPU, buy a brand new one. If you don't care about warranty, keep using what you have.

Edit:
In my book, when any used hardware is sold, regardless how unused it is, price for me will be 50% from MSRP, since i don't get any warranty with it and i'm taking a risk. So, RTX 3060 MSRP is $329, making the price you paid, $270, way too expensive for it. $180 is proper price for it, since it doesn't have warranty.

The 3060 is actually priced at $400 usd in canada for a new one if that makes a difference. The exact model I got is actually around 420 usd new. Thanks for your opinion!

Last edited:

Markhad93

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2016

Edit:

Your comment also has me thinking about the failure rate of a typical 3060 card (mine is a gigabyte eagle specifically). Wonder if any statistics about 3060 or 3000 series reliability exists.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Wonder if any statistics about 3060 failure rate exists

Gave a quick look and didn't find statistics about RTX 3000 series, but i did find one retailer's RMA statistic on Nvidia and AMD GPUs, including RTX 2000 series and GTX 1600 series, among others,
link: https://hardwaresfera.com/en/noticias/hardware/tasa-devolucion-rma-amd-nvidia/

Take it as a rough guideline, since it covers only one retailer, and doesn't factor in why RMA was made. It just lists RMA as a whole. While RMA can be made for any reason, other than GPU dying. E.g visual defect or customer just wants trade-in their GPU, by going with another GPU.

--

All-in-all, i prefer to buy premium version of the same GPU, than the cheapest option. E.g for the price that i bought my MSI Gaming X GTX 1660 Ti, i could've gotten RTX 2060, but cheaper version, e.g MSI Ventus series.

Just checked my local retailer and this, high-end Asus RTX 3060,
specs: https://rog.asus.com/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx3060-o12g-v2-gaming-model
costs the same amount as does this, cheap-end Asus RTX 3060 Ti,
specs: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/Dual/DUAL-RTX3060TI-8G-V2/
:rolleyes:

Which of the two you'd buy? (Actual price diff between the two is €/$ 0.90.)

Solution