I've been looking at the Yamaha 2100E VK retail for a CD/RW.
40r16w10rw. It has 8MB buffer. Great!

Suddenly I spot a Ricoh MP9120A-DP retail CD/RW DVD.(32r12w10rw)& 8 x DVD, but only 2MB buffer.

I will use the CD/RW for back-ups & the odd music CD. IS this enough to prevent buffer under-run?

I don't want the fastest/best/newest etc.
I want something that will be very reliable and will do the job without taking forever.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know much about that drive, but does it have something like Burnproof or Justlink? The latest burnproof drives only have 2mb buffers.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Ricoh doesn't have any sort of burnproof technology. Get a Plextor or Teac drive, they do, and they're cheap.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

Like the others said, go for the features in the drive like the burnproof technology. Don't really have to worry about the amount of buffer memory in the drive ....IMHOs...

-=$&| *WWWuuusssuuuppp?!?!?* |&%=-

Arbee

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001
Yes they do - they even call it Just Link...

With that technology 2 MB are enough to prevent buffer underruns.

On a side note, I prefer Plextor though ;)

The Yamaha costs £132.78 The Ricoh costs £171.55
Remember, the Ricoh has DVD as well.

Yes Ricoh has "Just Link" and "Ahead Nero burning 5.0"
I take it Nero is the "copy your HD and format and restore" so you can format as often as you like?

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ive got a ricoh 12x10x32x 7125A
its got the 2mb buffer
and justlink technology.

"they say" justlink is better than burnproof as the gap created is almost 10 times smaller. *shrug*

ive burnt 4 cd's so far, one had potential buffer underrunns which were nicely negated by justlink, no probs.
2mb buffer is fine unless your doing craploads of other things in the background. then the justlink kicks in to save you.

come to think of it i was running seti@home in the background while burning cd's :)
ricoh suits me.
speedy, reliable, quiet and the newly burnt CD's are suprisingly cool to the touch.

Hamster *pawprint*

My Hamster doesnt like sarcasm. He may very well bite you in your hard to reach places!