Question Is 3.75ghz at 1.356 V a good overclock for Ryzen 5 1600

yashas08

Commendable
Apr 16, 2017
So I overclocked my CPU and ran Cinebench R20 at the max temps reaches 96 degrees Celcius . Is there any ways to reduce the temps . If I lower the voltage , the system becomes unstable .

Those temps are a little high for a daily driver. You will either need to lower the voltage, lower the OC, or get a better cooler. Unfortunately, it looks like you lost the silicon lottery at 3.75ghz is not a very aggressive overclock.

What boar are you using? If you are using a cheap mobo, that could also impact your overclocking stability.

yashas08

Commendable
Apr 16, 2017
stick with 1 thread, 1 user
So I hit 3.75 GHz at 1.357 V . Ran Cinebench R20 at the max temps reached were 96 degrees celcius and while gaming it's less than 75 degrees . If I reduce the voltage anymore , system becomes unstable . So how to reduce temps further ?

yashas08

Commendable
Apr 16, 2017
Those temps are a little high for a daily driver. You will either need to lower the voltage, lower the OC, or get a better cooler. Unfortunately, it looks like you lost the silicon lottery at 3.75ghz is not a very aggressive overclock.

What boar are you using? If you are using a cheap mobo, that could also impact your overclocking stability.
I am using a Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming Mobo . While gaming the temps stay below 75 degrees celcius

Killer01ws6

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
The reason why the temps are lower when gaming is because the game does not stress the CPU as much as a CPU benchmark. So the CPU is used less in the game, so the temps are gonna be lower.
THIS>
Also, just because it will play a game does not mean your OC is stable... might play 1hr or 1 week... but next time same game might Blue screen on you.
That is why testing is important, now yes once you have your OC stable you will not reach the high temps of testing during normal use.. but if you can't sustane testing at reasonable temps, your OC is off. LOTS more to a OC than just Voltage also.. Did you get your OC from someone else's setup and just add it in?

No two systems even with very similar components will be the same. You do OCs in steps, Does your Board have a Dummy OC? Many have that in the bios these days. I prefer my own OC, but the preset one is a good test, the main issue with auto OCs are they put too much Voltage more times than not.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Be default the 2600 will boost up to 3.9 GHz for lightly threaded loads, and around 3.6-3.7 GHz for heavily threaded loads. Pretty sure manually setting it to 3.75 disables the auto boost, so that's not much of an OC, might even perform worse in some cases.

Edit: Oops, OP has 2600 not 1600.

Last edited:
Be default the 2600 will boost up to 3.9 GHz for lightly threaded loads, and around 3.6-3.7 GHz for heavily threaded loads. Pretty sure manually setting it to 3.75 disables the auto boost, so that's not much of an OC, might even perform worse in some cases.

He is rocking the 1600 and not the 2600. It is 3.2 base and 3.6 boost. So at 3.7 he is at a 15% bump from the base. It is not great, but not completely terrible either.

Reactions: TJ Hooker