[SOLVED] Is 3000MHz RAM decent for a R7 2700x?

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Last year I upgraded my PC with a R7 2700x and when buying the ram, I mistakenly got the 3000MHz instead of the 3200MHz. I've heard RAM is an extremely important factor with these CPUs so I wanted to know if I should sell it and get some 3200MHz (considering I also want to get another 16GB kit to go 32GB).
My current ram is the Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15.
I would like to know how much does this ram speed impact both my gaming experience as well as my rendering/modeling productivity.

Solution
You could run your current ram through typhoon burner and Dram calculator and see what faster frequencies you can run at. You can probably run it at 3200 CL16. There are tutorials on youtube if you're unfamiliar with using those programs.

bfollett

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2005
You could run your current ram through typhoon burner and Dram calculator and see what faster frequencies you can run at. You can probably run it at 3200 CL16. There are tutorials on youtube if you're unfamiliar with using those programs.

Reactions: NovaTronMC
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Consider that 3200MHz is only 6.7% faster than 3000MHz.

If your system's performance were dependent ONLY on RAM speed, the most performance gain you would get is 6.7% in the absolute BEST CASE scenario. Your real world gain from going up from 3000 to 3200 is going to be less than that.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I will surely take a look into that, didn't know I could "change" RAM speeds and latencies.

NovaTronMC

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
Consider that 3200MHz is only 6.7% faster than 3000MHz.

If your system's performance were dependent ONLY on RAM speed, the most performance gain you would get is 6.7% in the absolute BEST CASE scenario. Your real world gain from going up from 3000 to 3200 is going to be less than that.
Putting it that way it is evident that the performance loss is insignificant as you stated, however, I've read that Ryzen is really dependent on RAM speeds, hence my question. Maybe 3200MHz would optimize my system by a significant amount not because of the speed difference but because of the optimization Ryzen takes.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it works that way. If I understand it correctly (and take this with a grain of salt) it's that AMD gained a greater amount of that percentage increase speed of RAM, whereas Intel's architecture can't benefit from RAM speed increases in the same way (they benefit, just less so).

If I recall, there was an article where they analyzed Ryzen gaming performace with faster RAM (also non gaming applications, I can't recall), and the largest benefit was at 720p. As resolution increased, the amount of gain got smaller. In addition, I seem to recall that as the speed got faster, the performance increase also had diminishing returns.

I can't seem to find it right now, but if I do find it later, I'll post.

EDIT: now I think there are specific kinds of workloads that are pretty much entirely RAM dependent, and that's when you'll get the full percentage of speed increase, or nearly so. But I don't believe it can ever be more than the increase in the RAM speed itself.