Question Is 3080 compatible with my rig?

Jun 28, 2022
Hi my GPU has been making pc crash in games for like last month. I tested in 3d Mark time spy and it would crash everytime with black screen and fans maxing out. I moved memory clock MHz up to +500 in MSI Afterburner and it stopped crashing for the last 2 weeks but now started crashing again today and I went back and tested GPU in 3d mark timespy and it was crashing within 5 seconds. I moved core clock and memory clock to -500 and it stopped crashing and has been working fine for now but I know there's something going on with GPU and crashes will come back.

I've updated drivers and got new PSU. Also stress tested CPU and Memory and they both passed but GPU test crashes in timespy just like it does in game that's why I think it is GPU and because I can mess with GPU settings in Afterburner and it will be fixed for awhile then starts crashing again. I have the money to buy new one and I know GPU prices are good now so If it crashes again I want to buy new one and be done with it.

I have 2080 super now and will just get 3080 but don't know if it will work in my system or if I will need to upgrade anything else. I just want to swap it.

Specs are: Z390 Phantom gaming 4s-ib
Intel i7 9700k
RTX 2080 super
Seasonic Focus GX750 Gold
2x8 GB memory sticks
1TB Harddrive
1 SSD

Is that something I can just swap?

Also the 2X8 GB memory sticks wouldn't make pc crash during games correct? I don't know anything about Harddrive's, SSD, or the memory sticks.

The memory sticks is the DRAM and the GPU memory is the VRAM correct?

It says that I am using 7GB out of 16GB memory so its not full but I could upgrade to 32GB if I needed but was under assumption the memory sticks aren't used for gaming but for other tasks like storage and the VRAM is the memory used in games.

KyaraM

Admirable
Hi my GPU has been making pc crash in games for like last month. I tested in 3d Mark time spy and it would crash everytime with black screen and fans maxing out. I moved memory clock MHz up to +500 in MSI Afterburner and it stopped crashing for the last 2 weeks but now started crashing again today and I went back and tested GPU in 3d mark timespy and it was crashing within 5 seconds. I moved core clock and memory clock to -500 and it stopped crashing and has been working fine for now but I know there's something going on with GPU and crashes will come back.

I've updated drivers and got new PSU. Also stress tested CPU and Memory and they both passed but GPU test crashes in timespy just like it does in game that's why I think it is GPU and because I can mess with GPU settings in Afterburner and it will be fixed for awhile then starts crashing again. I have the money to buy new one and I know GPU prices are good now so If it crashes again I want to buy new one and be done with it.

I have 2080 super now and will just get 3080 but don't know if it will work in my system or if I will need to upgrade anything else. I just want to swap it.

Intel i7 9700k
RTX 2080 super
2x8 GB memory sticks
1TB Harddrive
1 SSD

Also the 2X8 GB memory sticks wouldn't make pc crash during games correct? I don't know anything about Harddrive's, SSD, or the memory sticks.

It says that I am using 7GB out of 16GB memory so its not full but I could upgrade to 32GB if I needed but was under assumption the memory sticks aren't used for gaming but for other tasks like storage and the VRAM is the memory used in games.
First thing I would do is test with a different card you know works, if possible. Some old GPU or one lent by a friend etc. would do.

Second, the question about memory. Yes, the DRAM, which indeed is system memory, is used in games. The CPU is not idle in games. It needs fast cache to work properly. And yes, that RAM can most definitely crash your system in games if it is corrupted. Here, I would run memtest to check for errors.

Third, in general, all GPUs would be compatible with your system since all PCIE versions are compatible; the difference lies in how well your parts work together and what slows down what. In your case, unless you plan to play in UHD, my guess would be that the CPU will be slightly weaker than a 3080 and the card won't be able to run at maximum possible FPS. If that is an issue for you depends fully on your FPS target. Where you might find an incompatibility instead is case size. Measure it out before getting a new GPU just to find out that you don't have the space to house it!

Last, I would try a fresh driver reinstall in save mode with DDU first.

Jun 28, 2022
Thanks. I already tried re-installing all driver's. Also I let the memtest86 run for 4 passes and it had 0 errors. Only thing I haven't changed is GPU. The pc only crashes in games and during GPU stress stress so there is something going on with it or maybe motherboard I guess. I don't know how to test motherboard. Also do not have any other GPU's to test.

Plan is to take this one apart, re-paste, dust, and clean all the connections. If it is still crashing replace.

Vincent007

Prominent
Jul 16, 2022

Intel i7 9700k
RTX 2080 super
2x8 GB memory sticks
1TB Harddrive
1 SSD

Yes it is, make sure to plug 2 separate PCI cables into the GPU rather than daisy chaining one (meaning don't use that 2nd connector that's attached to the main connector from the PSU to video card PCI cable, instead plug in a 2nd PCI cable entirely from your PSU, n leave the 2nd attached cable unconnected on both cables). 3070 and under can do OK daisy chained, but the 3080 cannot. Also, consider the 3080 12gb version, or 3080ti if you can get them within the price of 10gb one. They'd be hella future proof. If you got a future PSU n wanted to do monster building, get a PSU that runs more than 1 12V rail, but that PSU is fine. If you haven't tried doing this with your 2080 super (2 PCI instead of daisy chained), definitely eliminate that as a potential gremlin. See what happens. Also, get a new power strip if yours is like 5-10 years old or something. Those can actually cause problems to.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022
If you haven't tried doing this with your 2080 super (2 PCI instead of daisy chained), definitely eliminate that as a potential gremlin. See what happens. Also, get a new power strip if yours is like 5-10 years old or something. Those can actually cause problems to.

Ya I thought about that. I hooked the new PSU up with separate PCI cables. Also I did have cheap old power strip so I replaced it with a $40 Tripp-lite one but was still crashing.

I do have a UPDATE though. I wanted to try one last thing before I ordered new GPU which was tearing it apart and cleaning and repasting so I ordered tool kit and thermal paste.

When I took it apart the middle of board was dark colored and sticky with dust sticking to it. I researched and it is from oil leaking from thermal pads and is supposed to be harmless.

I cleaned the whole board and connections with isopropyl then repasted. The paste was dried on edges but looked ok in middle and was still covering die but a little thin. Also the paste was not just on GPU die it was covered all over the green part around the die that has the circuits that look like teeth. Not sure if that's normal but I cleaned every bit of old paste off and just put new paste only on the die then put back together and tightened the screws extra tight just to make sure connections are good.( I've seen that card sag from gravity can cause things to loosen overtime)

That was 2 day's ago and it hasn't crashed once yet since I did that. I've been testing nonstop trying to make it crash but it hasn't. I'd be lucky to get 1 or 2 games in before and i've played probably 40 games now and even left game on overnight and it's working fine still.

Still have to keep testing but I honestly think it's fixed. Not sure what exactly would have fixed it though because the GPU temps never got over 65 in game and paste looked half descent beside the fact it was smeared all outside of die but I will update this post in a couple weeks and report if it is still working or not.